Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other FTP or SFTP for small websites?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Rugg
    Participant

Should I be using FTP or SFTP when uploading files for small websites?

Currently, I’m using FTP, but discovered that SFTP is recommended for security and encrypting data sent to the server. From my understanding… SFTP uses SSH, which requires the use of command line. I have zero knowledge of that and I’m simply looking for a simple and secure method for transferring files with FTP.

Is the standard FTP reliable, or should I be using SFTP?

Any incite is appreciated…thank you.

Source

__
    Participant

SFTP uses SSH, which requires the use of command line.

No. Any decent FTP client, with or without a GUI, should be able to connect via SFTP.

Is the standard FTP reliable, or should I be using SFTP?

Up to you. Some people say there’s no reason to ever use an unsecure connection. (And there isn’t, really.) Of course, it will depend on the project, as well.

However, understand that it’s not a “reliability” issue. SFTP won’t make your uploads any more or less successful; just harder to eavesdrop on.

I have zero knowledge of that [the command line]

Great opportunity to learn. : )

What OS do you use? SSH a bit of a pain on windows, but on a Mac (or, especially on linux), it is quick, easy, and soooooooo much nicer than FTP.

ssh [email protected], type your password, and you’re in. Most linux flavors even support SSH from the desktop environment (you can browse your server just as if it were a folder on your desktop).

__
    Participant

With that said, if I choose to enable SSH, will I need to actually do anything with the terminal? Can I enable it and simply change the port from 21 to 22 and change FTP to SFTP when connecting?

I would expect so. I’ve never used Coda, however. Give it a try.

When SFTP is the chosen protocol, Coda requires users to also provide server credentials for the Terminal.

Under many circumstances, they will be the same credentials you use for regular FTP. This might vary depending on your host.

Rugg
    Participant

@traq

Okay. That seems to make sense.

My final thought…

Say I switch to using SFTP…will I still upload files to the server in the same manor as FTP? Or will that be different?

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.