Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other From WordPress to Kirby

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

The biggest thing I like about Kirby is the Custom Post Types functionality without a plugin. And to call it onto your template you just do something like this `cpt-name ?>`.

To create those custom post types, it’s as easy as writing text. http://cloud.chrisburton.me/Lury

So for the custom post type ‘description’, I would write this in my template:

`description ?>`

Andy Howells
    Participant

That is pretty sweet, custom queries are my number one bug bear with WordPress.

chrisburton
    Participant

Updated previous post.

chrisburton
    Participant

Well, for one, Kirby is a dynamic CMS just like WordPress but without all the bulk core structure that isn’t necessary. Think of it as an extreme anorexic WordPress structure. You also don’t need a database to handle your content like WordPress. For me, it has been able to do absolutely everything that WordPress can do but much much simpler. WordPress isn’t that easy when you want to do something specific. You either have to download a plugin that offers more than what you want or you have to build it yourself.

You can use FTP or the Panel (what you see in those screenshots above). There is a bonus. You can install Dropbox onto your server so your files sync. This allows you to make changes in Dropbox and when those changes are made, it automatically syncs to your server. So basically it doubles as an FTP and a backup system.

wragen22

@ chrisburton I think you’ll have to help me out here.. once again. :-/ I’ve been reading these kirby docs and just not getting it. Mainly around the templates ect. My current project is not in wordpress at the moment, but broken up into section ie. doctype.php, header.php, footer.php then in my index.php imported like so . I then use different scss files imported into my “global.scss” file.

Thanks for the help here.

chrisburton
    Participant

@wragen22 If you want to sign into GChat, I can help you quicker. Just message me and i’ll hear the alert. If you’re busy, let me know and I’ll write it up for you.

Your structure makes a little sense. Here is what I do for Kirby.

And for my menu it looks like this:

chrisburton
    Participant

@BenWalker That’s great to hear. I’m one of those people that hate to use new products without extensive research and reviews from others but this was too good to pass up. I’m pleased that others are seeing the benefit of switching to Kirby from WordPress.

__
    Participant

I checked out Kirby a few weeks back after @chrisburton mentioned it in another discussion. Looks neat. Straightforward, simple, I bet a lot of people will find it perfect. Seems it’s a good balance for people who don’t need a dead-simple “end user” interface, have some coding ability, and want to be able to easily “tweak” stuff.

I was talking with the author about a bug under php 5.4 where the markdown parser hangs. He said he figured out the problem and is fixin’ it. Until then, I haven’t been getting too deep into it, but I’ve been poking around and it’s nice.

Andy Howells
    Participant

I’ve been playing today, it’s quite good. I think the panel is a must for client work though.

My aim is to see if I can get redactor.js running to help input content, that would definitely be the cherry on top.

chrisburton
    Participant

@traq What was that bug you mentioned?

@andy_unleash If you check the blog on Kirby, there is a nice project management theme. You might be interested in it.

TheDoc

Alright, dammit, I guess I’ll have to try it out.

chrisburton
    Participant

By the way, if you’re a student, there’s a discount on the license.

If anyone can get OpAuth working with Kirby for blog comments, I’d be thrilled!

chrisburton
    Participant

@andy_unleash You might want to download Statamic since it uses redactor.js and is quite close to Kirby’s structure.

__
    Participant

> @traq What was that bug you mentioned?

Bastian didn’t say specifically, but he said Kirby’s using an older version of the markdown parser (which he modified in some way) and it’s “not compatible” with PHP 5.4.

I haven’t been able to figure out what he might be referring to, so I thought I’d just wait and see what he comes out with.

chrisburton
    Participant

@BenWalker Looks great, Ben.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 45 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.