Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Forums eating replies?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    shaneisme
    Participant

eg: https://css-tricks.com/forums/topic/menu-drop-down-not-visible-in-ie8-subpages-but-visible-on-ie8-homepage/

• I replied here first, on postback it came up without my reply.
    • I attempted to post again, but it said duplicate existed
    • Posted the same thing, with a minor change and it did the same thing as my first step
    • Posted “reply” which worked, attempted to edit it with original text and post disappeared

Not sure if I’m getting caught in some spam filters or what, just thought I’d bring it up…

Also, since redesign, if I edit a post that has markdown, the HTML elements will all be in place for the edit. Posting it again will cause issues unless I delete the HTML and replace with markdown.

Alen
    Participant

Looks like the caching issue is back again.

When moving between pages, my view is cached and I have to press refresh to get the latest posts/reply. So that might have been what you experienced, once you tried posting again it detected content as dupe.

Anyways, what you describe, I have experienced many times on this site. It’s been mentioned to me before that posting multiple links in the message body will flag the post for review. But this has been the case for me on and off. Sometimes it works sometimes and I have to wait for moderators.

The site is A LOT FASTER than before tho. But the caching issue is back.

Paulie_D

It’s been mentioned to me before that posting multiple links in the message body will flag the post for review.

That’s one trigger.

Mentioning ESS EEE OHH (especially the dreaded initials) will automatically flag up the post too.

__
    Participant

Mentioning ESS EEE OHH (especially the dreaded initials) will automatically flag up the post too.

Ahh, delicious irony…

shaneisme
    Participant

I have another thread that it’s doing that to, I think I’ve posted two replies:

https://css-tricks.com/forums/topic/responsive-css-page-wont-show-links-on-cellphone/#post-169619

shaneisme
    Participant

Danke.

__
    Participant

Hey, question:

I’ve been “losing” more posts lately as well, some of which are still visible to me as much as a half-hour later, but then disappear.

Is there a way to contact a moderator about fixing such things, other than @ mentioning them?

__
    Participant

Is there a list of mods somewhere? I only know you and Paulie_D “for sure.”

Paulie_D

By all means link me into a thread if you have posts disappear.

I can rummage through the various traps to see what’s what.

Unfortunately, I/we don’t get notified when something is trapped so it’s a memory thing for me to check…and sometimes I don’t get to it for a day or so.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

Sounds like they could all be related to page caching. Remember to shift-refresh if you think you’re on a page that is doing something funky. But also I’m going to turn it off for the forums and see how performance is. The trouble is, it seems like either performance is OK and there are login/seeing wrong stuff issues, or performance is bad and less issues. :(

__
    Participant

Sounds like they could all be related to page caching.

Some of it, definitely. But other stuff is spam traps (that’s how I’ve been losing posts —I’ve actually had TheDoc and Paulie_D recover some of them— though because of page caching, some of those I lost for good because I didn’t realize they were missing until too late (I could still see them)).

The biggest probably-cache-related issue I’ve seen lately is the “Freshness” column on the forum page being completely unreliable (on the order of days wrong).

shaneisme
    Participant

Here’s another post I created a reply to (I mentioned the dreaded three letter word):

https://css-tricks.com/forums/topic/wordpress-allow-permalinks-to-work-with-and-without-hyphens/#post-172680

Whenever a mod can gets to it :)

Paulie_D

Done

Paulie_D

Nothing I can see in the filters…I do know that the forum really hates JS sometimes.

Shikkediel
    Participant

Maybe because the mouse event has s-e-o in it? Had it recently with an easing term (ease-out).

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.