Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS [Solved] Footer border not level across entire page width

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mrhines1
    Participant

I have a footer on my site and would like to apply a border across the top of it to help visually separate it from the site. The footer background stretches across the entire screen (outside of the grid). When I apply the border it doesn’t make a straight line, instead it drops down about 5px compared to the content inside the grid.

CSS

html { overflow-x: hidden; }
    .footer { 
      background: black;
      color: white;
      padding: 15px 0;
      position: relative;
      margin-bottom: 0;
      margin-top: 30px;

}
    .footer:before, .footer:after {
      content: "";
      position: absolute;
      top: 0;
      bottom: 0;
      width: 9999px;
    }
    .footer:before {
      right: 100%;
    }
    .footer:after {
      left: 100%;
    }

.footer:nth-of-type(1), .footer:nth-of-type(1):before, .footer:nth-of-type(1):after { background: #323235; border-top: 5px solid #f66b0e; }

Paulie_D

Could you make a Codepen or provide a live link?

I don’t think the border width and the issue you speak of are coindecental.

mrhines1
    Participant

Here’s the pen

@jurotek
    , I do have the margin set to 0; on the body, but I even have the issue in the pen without defining the body’s margin so would that eliminate that as in issue?

Paulie_D

You need to position the pseudo element to take account of the border adding height to the footer.

.footer:before, .footer:after {
      content: "";
      position: absolute;
      top: -5px;   /* same as new border */
       bottom: 0;
      width: 9999px;
    }

mrhines1
    Participant

@Paulie_D, thanks! That did it.

Is there any way to prevent the browser from being able to scroll to the right? I’m sure it’s because of the width:9999px; (it wasn’t an issue before adding that).

Would it be possible to base that number on the width of the browser window or would that have to be a javascript fix?

Paulie_D

If you read Chris article he mentions that: https://css-tricks.com/full-browser-width-bars/

We need to be careful with our super wide extensions here, don’t want to cause horizontal scroll. The safest way to do this (thanks, Dave Gregory) is to hide the overflow-x on both the html and body elements. This hides them visually and ensures you can’t force-scroll your way over to them.

html, body {
        overflow-x: hidden;
    }

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.