Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Font Size in IE versus Firefox

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    pseudus

Alright. First let me just offer a huge thank you to Chris, your site has helped me transform from a CMS tweaker/wannabe web designer to an actual novice web designer. I have learned so much, but I know I have a lot more to learn. Thank you, thank you, thank you!

Anyway, I am tackling my first real IE irritation and apparently it is just the first in what seems to be the bane of web design. I am developing a site for a friend’s GC company. You can check it out at http://www.melidainc.com It is my first hand coded site, and I am very pleased with it, but I am having an issue with font sizes. In Firefox, the site looks pretty much the way I want it too, but in IE the fonts are larger, and it screws up my layout a little.

I am assuming it has to do with pixel sizing, but I can’t seem to find a clear answer on how to fix it. Is there not a way to have IE and Firefox render the fonts the same in both browsers? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, as you guys nose around my mark-up please be gentle, and I would be grateful for ANY suggestions or criticism. :mrgreen:

Thanks!

webwiz

Sorry to say this, but there is absolutely no way you can control font sizes at the user end. Of necessity, font sizes are under user control, and the sizes also depend on various computer settings as well as browser settings. My Firefox is set to 12 pixels minimum font size, for example, because I have a high definition laptop, so the pixels are extra tiny at 120 PPI (pixels per inch).

It may seem that you can control font sizes in IE (only) by using pixel sizes, but those who need to, find out how to do it. You need to learn how to design pages that do not rely on specific sizes for text.

Internet Explorer settings are well hidden in the menu system. For testing purposes, I find the RNIB (Royal Institute for the Blind) IE Toolbar a great help:

RNIB Surf Right IE Toolbar

Note that they have other good information for web developers at that site.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.