Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Font display issues on different browsers/computers

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Josiahmann
    Participant

I have been having trouble with fonts on a wordpress based site. I have a font installed on a website and it is all appearing fine for me. However, on the client’s website, the client’s h5 stops showing as bold once it’s italicized and quotation marks don’t show up at all on h5.

What could be causing this?

Site is johiggins.com

Paulie_D

Which font is it?

What browser / OS is the client using?

Perhaps you could also point an actual h5 on the site to save us hunting around for it?

Paulie_D

Interestingly…this is throwing an error in Chrome when inspected.

#title-area #description {
        font-size: 2.5em;
        font-family:  'La Belle Aurore', cursive, ;
    }

Is this the font?

Josiahmann
    Participant

The font is ‘Actor’ a google font. The page I’m referring to is johoggins.com/art-writing and I’m specifically referring to the headers for each individual magazine/ piece of work. Sorry I didn’t include that info initially and thanks for the help.

Paulie_D

Hmmm…tried it in Chrome, FF, Safari 5 & IE and the quotes show up for me.

I can’t tell if the font is actually being used or not. It’s not a very attractive font for me and the h5 is quite small in size.

Without knowing the clients browser / OS it’s going to be hard to replicate although my money would be OSX & Safari 6…I’m seeing a lot of hassles with that combo.

Josiahmann
    Participant

Client is on a pc with chrome.

Paulie_D

Is this it…because I’m seeing the quote marks inside the h5 but I can’t tell if the bolding is working or not.

<h5> “The stuff that surrounds us” – Interview with Alain de Botton,

<strong>
        <em>Australian Art Collector, </em>
    </strong>
    Issue 38 Oct-Dec 2006, pp.102-103</h5>

jurotek
    Participant

Hi there. Just want to point out that all your rem values for padding’s, margins and font sizes are calculated incorrectly. Because you have base font-size on html element set at 14 px your rem values should be: Here are few examples from your css

h1 {
    font-size: 32px;
    font-size: 2rem;   /* should be 2.286rem */
    }
    h2 {
    font-size: 24px;
    font-size: 1.5rem;   /* should be 1.714rem */
    }
    h3 {
    font-size: 20px;
    font-size: 1.25rem;   /* should be 1.429rem */
    }
    h4,
    font-size: 18px;
    font-size: 1.125rem;   /* should be 1.286rem */
    }
    h5 {
    font-size: 16px;
    font-size: 1rem;   /* should be 1.143rem */
    }
    h6 {
    font-size: 14px;
    font-size: 0.875rem;   /* should be 1rem */
    }

On top of that, your headings are defined many times through out your css, plus I counted around 40 different font sizes declarations and you have lot of overqualified elements all over. It would benefit you greatly if you clean up and simplify that entire css file .

Paulie_D

Heading tags are bold by default aren’t they…so could you lose the <strong> tag?

Don’t know if it would help but it’s worth a shot.

jurotek
    Participant

Heading tags are bold by default aren’t they

Yes and no. Example: If you include h2 in reset and the reset has font-weight inherit, that h2 will not be bold. You have to overwrite it down the road if you want it bold.

Josiahmann
    Participant

You’re right jurotek. I used a theme framework to start off with that had rems defined based on 16px default. Since I didn’t know how to work with rems well, client wanted all fonts smaller, so I just changed the default value. In the future I’m using the 62.5% trick to set 1rem to 10 px, but at this point I’m kinda scared to mess with anything because client is very paticular about fonts and is finally happy..

Josiahmann
    Participant

There are also so many font-sizes defined its daunting to change anything. I’m not sure how I’d go about cleaning it up . Tips?

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.