Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Floated div tag with an Image and Caption

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    for_vt

Hello,

I created "generic" floated right and floated left div containers with classes that I could use repeatedly on a page. However, since I haven’t declared a size for each div tag I get a warning when I run my CSS sheet through the CSS validator (http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/). I don’t think I want to declare a width because the image sizes are all different.

This is the warning: "In (x)HTML+CSS, floated elements need to have a width declared. Only elements with an intrinsic width (html, img, input, textarea, select, or object) are not affected"

Here is one of the pages I can using the div classes on:
    http://johnrichmondlandscapinginc.com/o … vices.html

Here is the CSS:
    .PHOTOdivleft {
    float: left;
    position: relative;
    margin-right: 20px;
    margin-top: 10px;
    top: -6px;
    }
    .PHOTOdivright {
    float: right;
    position: relative;
    margin-top: 10px;
    top: -5px;
    padding: 0px;
    margin-left: 20px;
    }

.captions {
    font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
    font-size: 0.7em;
    line-height: 1.2em;
    height: auto;
    margin-top: 3px;
    color: #666666;
    margin-bottom: 2px;
    }

I have two questions — is it really a problem to not declare the width AND is there a better way for me to do this? I don’t really think it would be ideal to make an ID tag or class for each and every photo just so the width could be added.

Make sense?

Thanks!

chris

As for the width, set it to auto if you do not want to declare one. Some of your other CSS Validation errors are because there isn’t a background color. Try setting a background color …

Code:
    background-color: transparent;

this should eliminate several of these warnings that say "Same color…etc."

for_vt

Oh! I didn’t even ask about the color warnings — but thanks for the suggestion — I will do it. I am going to set the div tags to auto right now.

Very helpful — much appreciated!

-christina

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.