Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Float issue

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    luckbox72
    Participant

I have a asp.net page that has a master page and on the master page I have a div wrapper around the content placeholder.

When the page loads into the placeholder I have to floating divs on is set to float left the other to float right. In chrome, firefox, safari all work fine. In ie 10 it was working, but I recently updated to ie11 for testing the to floating divs start out fine, then when I make an alteration and add a image to the header section the two floating divs shift left to the point that they are outside the main div. So what happens is you lose the left 2inches of the floating div.

Any ideas on why this would be happening.

I have changed the divs to both float right and it seems to work, but seems vary odd behavior. Just trying to use divs rather than table to display the pages.

Merri
    Participant

Easy way to avoid floats rearranging as described is to only float the first element. The second element would then be a regular block that instead will get margin to the side where the floated element is at. So in your case you would have:

• element 1, float: right; (calculate it’s width + padding + border + margin).
    • element 2, margin-right: #px (where # is the total size calculated based on above).
    • element 2 should have no width defined, so it uses container element’s width minus the size mentioned above.

This makes element 2 to not go on top of the floated element 1. Also because both aren’t floats there will be no elements clearing due to them being floated. We only do the margin stuff so that text content in element 2 does not expand to go below element 1, which would happen if element 2 is taller than element 1.

Alternatively:

.container {
      display: table;
      width: 100%;
    }

.element1 {
      display: table-cell;
      width: 50%;
    }

.element2 {
      display: table-cell;
      width: 50%;
    }

There is nothing wrong in table based layout as long as you’re doing it in CSS. It is HTML tables for layout that are evil.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.