Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Flat Interface Choosing Colors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

@chrisburton

> Positioning has nothing to do with Flat Design. I think you’re confused so I’d strongly recommend to do some research. As far as “flat colors”, you might be thinking of “matte” but people are calling them “flat”.

By positioning i meant layout. A flat user interface will usually have an aligned layout sort of boxed/next to each other type of layout. Google “flat ui” and you’ll see what i mean. And by “flat colors” i meant colors without any gradient or any type of effect, colors with nothing else.

> Huh? Are you thinking of the Windows UI (“Metro UI”) again? It honestly has nothing to do with Flat Design.

That didn’t even come to mind. And as i mentioned above i was referring to the layout.

> I’m not following your point. Elaborate?

If Microsoft and Apple are beginning to use flat UI’s than it sure as hell is becoming a trend. It’s been around for few years “only referring to digital UI’s”. And by the years it has been gaining popularity, now more than ever. I think that’s something that would be called a trend.

> To conclude, I’ll reiterate with the fact that you have a misconception of what Flat Design is. While you believe it to be the “Metro UI”, it’s just not true. In part of what you stated, you’re right. Flat Design is simplicity.

Never said anything about “Metro UI”.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin

> A flat user interface will usually have an aligned layout sort of boxed

You’re clearly describing the layout of the Metro UI and after searching on google, other designers are using the box grid model based off of Miscroft’s. But again, that has nothing to do with what Flat Design is. In fact, Naomi Atkinson came out with a similar box grid layout a long, long, long, time ago. And masonry.js was the launchpad for that.

> And by “flat colors” i meant colors without any gradient or any type of effect, colors with nothing else.

Aka, Matte.

> It’s been around for few years “only referring to digital UI’s”.

No, it has been around since the beginning of digital UI’s. Where have you been? This is what leads me to believe that you think the Metro UI is the innovator of digital flat design.

> Never said anything about “Metro UI”.

You’re certainly describing it.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m not even fully sure what this argument is about anymore. Is it about flat ui being or not being a trend, or is it about what flat ui is? either way let’s leave it at that. We clearly have different views and the way everyone sees things is different. I think flat UI’s are a trend and if it has been around for a long time as you mentioned than it’s must only be gaining popularity now.

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m just suggesting that you do a little more research as to what Flat Design is. And that research shouldn’t be conducted through google image search.

Good luck.

unasAquila
    Participant

I’m gonna be honest I didn’t really understand the question when I read it. You ask about flat design and what color you should use. Flat design has nothing to do with color. Flat design is a concept whereas color is “subjective & personal”.
    As to trends when i hear flat design my mind goes straight to **boring** . I feel that trends are moving towards _bold subtlety_ & _minimalistic_ which is far removed from flat design.

gogglepudding
    Participant

Please know everything about everything before asking a question! Wait…

So did you use designmodo’s Flat UI? Or have you come up with your own design patterns that are similar? Either way, I think the article AlenAbdula links to is a good read.

Why are you creating this site? Ideally design will compliment the content, so your colors should be based off of the content and branding. If this site is just for practice or is going to be used as a template, come up with your own pseudo business/logo/branding. I’ve yet to see a good template that doesn’t do this.

chrisburton
    Participant

> Flat design is a concept whereas color is “subjective & personal”.

The trend in Flat Design seems to be using Matte (flat) colors. I think people are misinterpreting that. But, I agree with you.

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.