Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Flat Interface Choosing Colors

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous
    Inactive

I’m creating a website with a flat ui and i’m a little stuck on which colors to use, also where to get those colors from. I’ve used adobe kuler but i’m looking for other colors to use. Which colors would go well with this type of design, or whats a good way to get flat ui colors?http://reallycoolstuff.net/PROJECTS/Unica/

Alen
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

The hell? Flat design isn’t a trend.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@AlenAbdula thanks.

@chrisburton
    if it’s not than it soon might be.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin This thing people are calling “Flat Design” has been around for as long as I can remember. Only now that Microsoft has released Windows 8 (“Metro UI”) and Windows Phone UI has it evolved into a trend.

It’s still unfortuante for those in the web community that follow these “trends”.

Anonymous
    Inactive

@chrisburton I think flat design is more about the simplicity and positioning of ui elements than just flat colors themselves. Simple and clean design has only begun to emerge. It’s not only the colors, if anything it’s barely the colors. What all “flat designs” have in common is that they are aligned perfectly in an orderly manner and don’t have more than the necessary content. Microsoft and other companies have just begun to use flat design. Even apple is planning on replacing the IOS interface with a flat design. So it couldn’t have been around for that long.

chrisburton
    Participant

I’m on my phone right now therefore I can’t really write what all I’d like to say.

Update:

> I think flat design is more about the simplicity and positioning of ui elements than just flat colors themselves.

Positioning has nothing to do with Flat Design. I think you’re confused so I’d strongly recommend to do some research. As far as “flat colors”, you might be thinking of “matte” which is flat. Try searching for that.

> Simple and clean design has only begun to emerge.

Yeah, rapidly. But that doesn’t mean no one has been doing this to begin with. Perhaps people are finally realizing that all that junk (graphics, gradients, 3D effects, etc) they were adding to their site really had no benefit.

> What all “flat designs” have in common is that they are aligned perfectly in an orderly manner

Huh? Are you thinking of the Windows UI (“Metro UI”) again? It honestly has nothing to do with Flat Design.

> and don’t have more than the necessary content.

Not sure what you’re talking about here.

> Microsoft and other companies have just begun to use flat design. Even apple is planning on replacing the IOS interface with a flat design.

I’m not following your point. Elaborate?

> So it couldn’t have been around for that long.

Hmm. I wasn’t aware that Microsoft and Apple are the sole innovators for trends on digital platforms.

To conclude, I’ll reiterate with the fact that you have a misconception of what Flat Design is. While you believe it to be the “Metro UI”, it’s just not true. In part of what you stated, you’re right. Flat Design is simplicity.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

> So it couldn’t have been around for that long.

I don’t think you can conclude that based on your arguments. Anyway I don’t think Chris is against flat design, just against calling it a trend :)

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Bananas!

Well, back on track to the OP, here is a fun website that has different color palettes: Adobe Kuler.

CrocoDillon
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

@JohnMotylJr He already mentioned Kuler in his first post.

Alen
    Participant

@chrisburton, flat design is definitely not a trend, I agree. I’ve only linked to that article because the OP question was about color not the history of design. Flat design has been around since 1920’s.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Jarolin @AlenAbdula Updated my post above: https://css-tricks.com/forums/discussion/comment/105020/#Comment_105020

Update:

@AlenAbdula

> Flat design has been around since 1920’s

Well, I can’t talk about that as I honestly am not familiar with the full history of graphic design. But as far as digital platforms, I would say it’s becoming a trend. Yes, I admit I was initially wrong. But for some of us, we’ve been using this thing called “Flat Design” for a long time. Since Microsoft completely revamped its UI, it started becoming a trend for many big companies and designers. Who would have thought Microsoft would have set a design trend?

Alen
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

Flat Design seems to be much much older than the 1920’s.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.