Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Fixed the Z-index now the padding is messed up….HELP

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    emilyblevins

I designed a site and it looks fine in ALL normal browsers….Also in the newest Internet Explorer browser.
    But my client has an older version of Internet Explorer and thinks everyone sees the same thing he sees. I asked him to update his browser but I do need to fix this small issue.

At first i wasn’t seeing the “content” information in the right hand box at the top, then i did some research and fixed the positioning and the information appeared, but the top-padding was too much, the info was too low.

The URL is http://tedfarrell-law.com/

If anyone knows any tricks it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Hey emily. I’m really glad that you’re interested in learning more about web design/dev, and you’ve come to the right place for friendly help. Years ago I was in your shoes and the only help available to me was in books…. so your fortunate. lol.

There are a lot of problems with your webpage concerning the basics. Not all tags are closed, including div and p tags. Given these problems and the current size of the site, I’m wondering why you’ve chosen to use WordPress, or any CMS at all? WordPress seems above your skill level, and I believe you’d be better off mastering CSS and HTML – You can create some really great sites with those alone!

However, I took a peek and this should fix your problem…

Change the following CSS selectors to match this;

#info {
    position: absolute;
    top: 45px;
    right: 40px;
    z-index: 5000;
    }

#logo {
    position: relative;
    width: 850px;
    height: 300px;
    margin: 0 auto;
    padding-left: 50px;
    background-image:url(images/img02.jpg);
    }

My aim wasn’t recode your page, but to alter as few lines as possible. You shouldn’t be using padding to position your elements – margins, absolute positions (top, left, bottom, right), and floated elements are enough, and they wont cause problems in older browsers.

If you need any more help, please followup!

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.