Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Fixed positioning, fluid max-width container, centred site. Question about css and best practises.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    emma
    Participant

Wow I really wasn’t sure what to put in the title field, it probably doesn’t make any sense.

Let me explain, I am building a site with a fixed header and footer. Now I don’t want my site to be 100% wide but I still want it to be nice and responsive so it fits on smaller screens. After a bit of research I have found that most people use something like this:

#header {
    position: fixed;
    top: 0;
    left: 50%;
    width: 1200px;
    margin-left: -600px;
    }

I mean this works well and all but to get it responsive I would have to use media queries to catch screens smaller than1200px. So while I was playing around I found that this seems like a far better solution:

#container {
    max-width: 1200px;
    position: relative;
    margin: 0 auto;
    }
    #header {
    position: fixed;
    top: 0;
    width: 1200px;
    max-width: 100%;
    }

Is there any obvious reasons as to why it would be a bad idea to have the left value on the header to be set to auto? This way it sits nicely in the center but will still adapt to to the browser window on smaller screens (max-width:100%), leaving out those nasty scrollbars. And without having to use media queries.

What are your thoughts on this? To me it seems like a great solution but I might be missing something…

Paulie_D

The second option is the best solution but my first question is why are you using fixed positioning at all?

If your header is at the top of the page you don’t need to position it.

Having said that, you don’t need to set a fixed width for the header…just set it to 100% and it will scale automagically.

http://codepen.io/anon/pen/udpBf

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.