Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Fixed position header hiding headings

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author

The elegant solution, I believe, is to use the padding approach with `pointer-events: none` — pointer-events is a CSS property that prevents an element from handling mouse pointer events when set to `none`.

The property is currently not widely supported, however.

natedigby21
    "apostrophe" wrote:
    Ok, now I see what you are trying to do. How about http://plugins.jquery.com/project/ScrollTo

Thank you so much for this link. This was what i’ve looking for. MWUAH!!!! LOL

Spycho

It seems that inserting a div with a negative top above the element you wish to link to does not work in IE8. Any idea how to get around this? I have tried applying padding + neg margins and that doesn’t work either.

Not so far. I’m still struggling with this one.

Spycho

How about a different approach?

padding:0px;
    position:fixed;
    top:135px;
    bottom:0px;
    left:0px;
    right:0px;
    overflow:auto;
    width:100%;
    background-color:#555;
    “>

Any thoughts? Doesn’t work in IE6. Seems to work fine in everything else.

Some implications: scroll bar just on the content div. Is this a good thing? If you try to scroll with the mouse wheel while the cursor is over the header, nothing happens. This makes sense but might be bad in terms of usability. Links link to a sensible place, tabbing to things causes the browser to scroll to a sensible place.

Wow, it really edits the hell out of this post. Will try and fix later.

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.