Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Fixed navigation: Top or Left

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    werm

Hey all,

I have a client that I’m putting together a portfolio site for. It’s a single page, scrolling kinda site. They insist on having they navigation fixed to the left of the content, but I’m trying to tell them that horizontal top navigation is more intuitive. What are your thoughts on the matter?

hebe

If it’s a single page, what do you need navigation for?
    Or do you mean it’s a huge, single page, scrolling either horizontally or vertically? If so, the scrolling direction should dictate the positioning of the navigation…

Or are you talking about navigation for a box with sliding/scrolling content?

Either way, I don’t think there’s a correct answer – it’s all about the total design and whatever makes sense in the given context…

werm

Yeah, it’s one big long vertically scrolling page. Maybe it’s just my personal preferences getting in the way of what the client wants? You can check it out here if it helps to give a visual. But keep in mind, it’s unfinished. So don’t judge my skillz :)

hebe

I guess I’d have to agree with your client in this case… with a horizontal top navigation on this page, the content would “crash” into the navigation when you activate the scroll (not to mention it would create a feeling of going back to the good ol’ frames of the ugly nineties ; ) .

(I would, however, consider moving the navigation a bit further from the left edge to create some air around it)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.