Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Fitting a Layout to the Browser

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kit

Hello everyone,

I’m a beginer when it comes to Web Design. I found css-tricks while searching for tutorials and I found them extremely useful! I’m hoping that you will all be able to help a little more on a specific issue.

I have created a site (not uploaded yet) that has the same width and height on every page. All images and text are made to fit this layout. What I want to know, is if it is possible to have the browser “zoom to fit” when the page loads. Throughout my testing in it’s creatin, I will often enter the page slightly zoomed, so I won’t see the footer. Is there a way to fix this? I hope I have explained the issue properly. Any help would be appreciated!

Cheers

TheDoc

Words of warning: Having a fixed height will always, always, always cause you headaches in the long run. What happens when you have content that goes beyond the box that you’ve created?

kit

Thank you for the response, but I never will have content that excedes the size of the page. That’s sort of the point of my design.

Tony

I think that the fact that your layout is fixed is the problem. When you zoom in with a browser, it’s just meant to put the content closer, not reshape the whole design, except for on phones, sorta. You can probably try percentages, or just some JS on the page with a button to make the text bigger. Also, you can see how your design would look on other monitors if you change your screen resolution on your operating system.

kit

I don’t think i’m explaining myself well here. The layout is roughly 960×600, my screen resolution is 1920×1080. Whenever I preview the page, it “zooms” so that the page I am viewing (960 wide) fills the browser window. I’m trying to eliminate scrolling so that all the images are in front of you when the page loads up.

Raimonds

100 words = 1 picture. It would be nice if you could show us a screenshot.

kit

This is how the page looks when I open it.
    This is how I want the page to open.

This example is in IE7, but the same happens in Chrome and Firefox.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.