Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other First post, first site!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    takeiteasy04

Hey guys!

This is my first post and my first site for someone other than myself. I have found CSS-Tricks to be invaluable. Thanks in advance to Chris for all the screencasts and to all of you for all I’m sure I’ll learn.

Anyway, on to the site. It’s really just a layout as of now, full of dummy text and such, but the basics are there. There’s not much to it, but any suggestions/comments are more than welcome!

http://www.hebtech.com

Thanks again!

takeiteasy04

Actually, after viewing it in I.E., I realize that my navigation menu totally crapped the bed…

It worked fine when I was testing it in I.E. when I was building it in Dreamweaver. Any suggestions? If you would like me to take this down and put it in the other board, I will, no problem.

Here’s the CSS of my navigation menu:

Code:
    div#header ul#header_nav {
    width: 720px;
    margin: 0px auto;
    list-style: none;
    float: left;
    }
    ul#header_nav li a {
    display: block;
    width: 180px;
    margin-top: 120px;
    text-align: center;
    font-family: “Futura Hv”, “Euro Sign”, sans-serif;
    color: #FFF;
    font-size: 12pt;
    text-decoration: none;
    letter-spacing: 0.3em;
    float: left;
    }
    ul#header_nav li a:hover {
    color: #9EC1E1;
    }
    ul#header_nav li#current a {
    color: #9EC1E1;
    }
    KenD

I’m sure one of the CSS gurus will respond with the IE help. . . my Windows machine is not readily accessible at the moment so I can’t see what issues you are having, works in FF mac.

On the design side, here are my concerns: (or just things you might want to consider)

font family – not sure if your current choices are going to be portable for the majority of users.

colors – on the blank pages using the blue on blue looks cool, but what happens when you start adding images and lots more text? You’re going to have to do a good balancing act to keep the site from looking too boxy once you start adding images, it can be done!

lines – not really sure what the black lines outside of the welcome home message are supposed to be.

I think you are headed in the right direction but the real test is dealing with the content. . . I’m looking forward to seeing the progress on this one.

takeiteasy04

Thanks so much for the feedback! As I said before, I’m a beginner at best, so any suggestions are more than welcome. I’ll definitely keep ya’ll updated. As for now, I’ll take my troubles to the trouble shooting board.

Thanks again!

thinkofmedia

I probably would go for a more subtle gradient on the header and footer as the white blends in a little much for my taste but I guess that’s my preference.

Maybe take a look at this http://psd.tutsplus.com/tutorials/desig … gn-effect/ seems quite similar style to yours.

TheDoc

On top of what everyone else has said, a design always has to contain test content. What I see is an unfinished design.

Okay, the site has potential, however I don’t particularly like the colour scheme as it makes it seem slightly old fashioned. Apart from that I’m sure once you’ve got the content up it will be a great site!

al_m473
    Participant

do a search of CSS-Tricks for "dropdown menu" fix, looks like you have this on IE7 anyway

Al

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.