Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Firefox Ignoring -moz-rules?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Noel Forte
    Participant

Hi-
    On my WordPress site, I have a few rules that are working to generate firefox fallbacks for certain styles. However, whenever firefox loads the page, it simply ignores the -moz- vendor prefixes. I’ve tried removing everything but the -moz- rules, but firefox still ignores the rules and allows the styles to be deleted, as nothing is now being recognized (the moz rules are ignored, even though they’re the only ones there.)

Here is a snippet of my CSS where one of these ignored rules bug happens. Anything I’m doing wrong?

.access ul ul a {
    box-shadow: 0px 0px 4px #000;
    -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 4px #000;
    background: #FFF;
    color: #787878;
    font-size: 13px;
    font-weight: normal;
    height: auto;
    line-height: 1.4em;
    padding: 10px 10px;
    width: 168px;
    outline: 1px solid #FFF;
    -moz-outline: 1px solid #FFF;
    }

I’m totally stumped. Thank you for any help! :)

neerukool
    Participant

@NForte, vendors use prefixes when the particular browser version doesn’t support default prefix-less styling (eg. box-shadow).
    Once it supports fully, they drop prefixes for that style.
    So if you’re using latest firefox, they have dropped prefix for box-shadow. But older versions mite not have.

The Best thing you can do is have firebug and create new style for selected element.
    type “-moz-” and navigate through properties with up / down arrow keys.

Let me know if that helps. :)

Kitty Giraudel
    Participant

By the way, outline is not a prefixed property. At least not as far as I can tell.

Noel Forte
    Participant

Thanks for the help. I was able to fix the problems by doing a Google search and found out that Firefox actually draws outlines _outside_ of the box-shadow, whereas all other browsers draw outlines inside the box shadow. Anyways, good stuff to know. As for the fix I found [this](https://css-tricks.com/snippets/css/css-hacks-targeting-firefox/ “”) on CSS-tricks.

Thanks again for the help. I didn’t know the deal with the vendor prefixes, so I was puzzled when Firefox was ignoring them. Might be a good idea to keep them on for fallback reasons…

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.