Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript File Uploader for Multiple Files or Entire Folder

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    djMot

Hey everyone. :)

I’ve been trying to find a good file upload script for a while. No luck really.

I operate an internet radio station, and frequently artists want to send me music for airplay consideration. I’ve been struggling along giving them FTP login information and letting them send files using FileZilla or the like. You can probably imagine all the questions about how to do it I get!

I’d really like to find an upload script to plug into my suite that would provide the capabilities found at MySpace or just about any photo site like Photobucket, that allow you to select multiple files from the local machine and have them uploaded to some folder on the web server. A progress bar would be nice, and the ability to select a folder rather than just selecting many individual files would be a plus. Nice Ajaxy interface gymnastics are desirable, too. Everyone loves something that feels professional designed and friendly, right?

Has anyone run across such a script out there in the wild?

Thanks!

Stack

That cant be done with javascript. You would need a PHP or ASP script written to upload the files.

AshtonSanders
    Participant
    akeenlabs
    Participant
    "Stack" wrote:
    That cant be done with javascript. You would need a PHP or ASP script written to upload the files.

I should point out that uploading a file from start to finish cannot be achieved completely with JavaScript; in fact, to get the nice feel that some other major sites use, you will most likely be using JavaScript (to send upload requests in the background). I actually recommend you take a look at SWFUpload; I’ve worked pretty extensively with this product and it is used by some of the biggies (like YouTube) and I’m sure it’s more than flexible/powerful to meet your needs. SWFUpload uses Flash, as do many of the plug-and-play multi-file uploaders; since it is impossible (to the best of my knowledge) to allow a standard input->file element to select multiple files at once, multi-file uploaders must rely on an external plugin such as Flash or Java.

Stack is correct, however, that you will need some kind of server side processing to handle the uploaded file. The SWFUpload documentation has more than enough server-side examples in various languages so I’m sure you can find something to get you started.

Good Luck.

djMot

Justin –

Brilliant! :D

I’ll look deeply into that one. The demos show a very professional interface which is a big requirement for me, and although uploading an entire folder isn’t directly addressed in any of the demos, the multiple file aspect may be enough. I’m a recovering MCSD, and am good in PHP and okay in JS so I ought to do just fine with adapting this. Thank you so much for the reply and recommendation!

Oh, and Ashton?
    Did you notice how your Google search did not produce any hits on a multiple file upload script? Even "multiple file upload script" doesn’t find SWFUpload. I’m well aware of how to use Google, but when the logical search expressions fail, I ask around. But thanks for the reply just the same.

apostrophe
    Participant
    Quote:
    Did you notice how your Google search did not produce any hits on a multiple file upload script? Even "multiple file upload script" doesn’t find SWFUpload. I’m well aware of how to use Google, but when the logical search expressions fail, I ask around. But thanks for the reply just the same.

I just typed "upload multiple files" into google and got 3,340,000 results. SWFUpload made page 2. :D

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.