Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other File permissions for local WorPress setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp I understand where you’re coming from. Right now I’m reinstalling Centos 6 to start over. I have no idea what I did so I’ll have to try again.

Maybe when you do get around to it… you use Git AND DB… just a thought.

I might just do that.

nixnerd
    Participant

@Joe_Temp I understand where you’re coming from. Right now I’m reinstalling Centos 6 to start over. I have no idea what I did so I’ll have to try again.

Welcome to the world of Linux my man. You are not alone and regardless of what anyone tells you… they did the same thing. I’ve broken so many Linux installs… it’s unreal. The good news: you get to a point when you know where to look to fix something. And, you learn the common jargon, so you can explain your problem on Stack/Reddit/IRC/Distro Forums.

One thing I’d highly recommend is using Git to manage your configs. I know, sorry.

This is the newest, hottest thing in Linux. Everyone on Github has these repos called “Dotfiles.” Get it? Hidden config files with at dot in front. So… people use version control to manage their configs… that way, if anything goes wrong… they can roll back changes.

This makes re-installing pretty simple because you already have everything configured. All you have to do is install the stuff and it’s basically good to go.

Might be a good opportunity to learn Git. If you decide not to go that route… no worries. There’s other ways to back up configs. Although… some are MUCH more complicated.

nixnerd
    Participant
    chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp Awesome! Thanks.

Viewing 4 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.