Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other File permissions for local WorPress setup

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    ScottyChoc
    Participant

For as long as I’ve been building my sites in a local dev environment on Mac OS X 10.6.8 with MAMP, I have never been able to set up the correct permissions. Often I find my self here:

http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_File_Permissions

but I have never been able to wrap my head around it! it affects my ability to use permalinks locally, and right now an even bigger problem is that I can’t use WP Migrate DB because it errors out with :

Could not find the file to download:
    /Users/me/Sites/mysite/wp-content/uploads/mysite-migrate-20140815185555-c3399.sql.

If anybody could point me towards a comprehensive guide that might cover this issue I would be eternally grateful!

nixnerd
    Participant

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/File_permissions_and_attributes

What don’t you understand? How to chmod/chown?

nixnerd
    Participant

A safe bet for usability is to set all your folders to ‘777’. I guarantee it will work but it’s a security nightmare. It basically allows anyone to alter any file in any way. Besides… you’re not going to have that setup on your remote server… so it’s dumb to use it on your dev setup.

‘755’ is a pretty safe bet. Make sure when you run a chmod… you DON’T run it as ‘sudo’.

Alen
    Participant

To avoid permission nightmare system link the MAMP folder to the folder your user owns. So create www folder on your desktop and do ln -s /path/to/mamp/www ~/Desktop/www.

Also if a user on sudoers list created a folder to change owner you might need to use sudo.

Alen
    Participant

Check this from my Google drive

nixnerd
    Participant

Look at Alen go! He’s probably right. That’s probably the easiest solution. But… I don’t use MAMP so I wouldn’t have known that.

chrisburton
    Participant

Ugh. I share your annoyance with permissions. I’m having the same issue with Dropbox on my server. It doesn’t seem to want to work anymore.

Alen
    Participant

@chrisburton how did you set up Dropbox?

nixnerd
    Participant

I’m so confused here. How come you guys can’t just chown the directories you want to modify? It’s super simple.

I must be missing something OR Dropbox/MAMP have really weird settings. But the sys link technique Alen posted should be the absolute easiest solution out there.

Alen
    Participant

Well, I’m kinda confused. We’re all assuming it’s the permissions but

it affects my ability to use permalinks locally

What permalinks? One’s created by WordPress? Is WP able to write .htaccess file? This might be Apcahe, issue not permissions. Who knows.

I’ve never had permissions issues on MAC using MAMP.

WP Migrate DB because it errors out

Could not find the file to download

This is not permissions issue. Is the file actually there? Is path correct?

chrisburton
    Participant

@AlenAbdula Hey, sorry for the late reply. Family came to visit last week and this week.

Anyway, I installed it from an article and this.

I had to update my site because of that big security flaw that practically effected all websites not too long ago. After that somehow everything stopped working. I’m not surprised though since I’m horrible with the CL. Clearly I messed something up.

I must be missing something OR Dropbox/MAMP have really weird settings. – @Joe_Temp

I think it’s a bit more difficult than just permissions. I had someone install Dropbox in the /user/ directory (which seems to be the way to do this) and then he, I guess, copied my DB folder to my /www/html/ directory that watches changes to the /user/ directory and updates when necessary.

nixnerd
    Participant

I had someone install Dropbox in the /user/ directory (which seems to be the way to do this) and then he, I guess, copied my DB folder to my /www/html/ directory that watches changes to the /user/ directory and updates when necessary.

I posted a similar question a while back. I think your particular issue is the fact that we’re dealing with two separate directories that may have different permissions set. That could be causing the issue. Again, I could be wrong by Mac file systems are UNIX-like… so they’re VERY close to Linux.

nixnerd
    Participant

Hey @chrisburton:

I’m really sorry to bring it up dude… it just keeps presenting itself. Have you started using git yet? I’m honestly not trying to be a DB (I don’t mean DropBox) and I’m sorry if I’m coming off like one. But… I can’t shake the nagging voice telling me to tell you to forget all this DropBox nonsense and move over to git.

Last time… I swear.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp I probably should learn it but right now I want to focus on PHP and then, I promise I’ll move on to using git. It’s just soooooo convenient that I can use my phone to write an article in MD and publish it through DB. I like that I can do that and also be reassured that my site is backed up at the same time all within the same service.

nixnerd
    Participant

I hear that dude. Fair enough. Sometimes I do things like that for the convenience factor for sure. No worries.

Maybe when you do get around to it… you use Git AND DB… just a thought.

Carry on everyone. Sorry OP.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.