Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Feedback Requested

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    DHTC
    Participant

http://keewatin-aski.on.ca/

I started with a word doc from the client that basically had everything laid out as they wanted it. I took some license with it and they liked it. You are seeing the just released site. The index page has that much space between the header img and the menu at the clients request. I had it just underneath and they thought it was too tight.

Anything glaring stick out? Better ways to accomplish the look?

Dave

I would say that there is not enough (any?) text on the homepage for Search Engine Optimization purposes. There really needs to be good headings and content on the homepage or the search engines will just pass you by.

A good way to picture your site as search engines see it is to turn off stylesheets…

[img]http://img150.imageshack.us/img150/8788/keewatinaski.jpg[/img]

Also I think you should tone down the drop-shadows somewhat as they make the text look slightly amateurish. Just my opinion.

Regards,
    David

DHTC
    Participant

I see your point. The client originally wanted a flash splash page, then came back with this idea, which is just another splash page. I’ll see if showing the client the non-css version changes their mind on splash pages.

I originally didnt have the text drop shadows, but thought the page looked flat. I may have taken it too far though. Perhaps just the logo and menu and not the H1 page titles?

ikthius

the site is ok,

but there is too much space wasted on the home page……

I have to scroll down to see your home page footer, I should not have to there is nothing to the page.

other than that I think it is fine.

DHTC
    Participant

bumped up the index page menu. I’m using a sticky footer for this site, and adjusting some of the top padding has taken care of the "white space", but caused a huge footer. Not to bad at 1024, but ugly as sin at higher res’s. I’ve used a min-height on the container div slightly larger to push it down. Max-height on the footer div has no effect. There a better way?

ikthius
    "DHTC" wrote:
    bumped up the index page menu. I’m using a sticky footer for this site, and adjusting some of the top padding has taken care of the "white space", but caused a huge footer. Not to bad at 1024, but ugly as sin at higher res’s. I’ve used a min-height on the container div slightly larger to push it down. Max-height on the footer div has no effect. There a better way?

why not position your fix your footer, that way it stays to the bottom no matter what size of resolution abd you get to keep your footer size:
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1734

only thing is, for lots of content it will be over it, but you can fix that by having the content finish further away from the footer, you could opaque your footer, so it looks the same, but that you can see text coming through, just ideas

DHTC
    Participant
    "ikthius" wrote:
    why not position your fix your footer, that way it stays to the bottom no matter what size of resolution abd you get to keep your footer size:
    viewtopic.php?f=8&t=1734

only thing is, for lots of content it will be over it, but you can fix that by having the content finish further away from the footer, you could opaque your footer, so it looks the same, but that you can see text coming through, just ideas

i tried it. i like it on some of the pages, but on those with the accordion script it just doesn’t look right. i’ll stick with min-height for now. it leaves some white space below but I can live with it.

I will be keeping that frozen footer in the toolbox though.

To be honest I’m not a fan of the gradient you have used for the background. It feels a bit old fashioned and "un-colour-coordinated". Also I would have a some sort of text on the home page maybe welcoming users to the site and giving them some sort of information about the site. Lastly I would keep the layout consistent throughout the site. Apart from that I think it’s an okay site.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.