Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Feedback on my website?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    sorrentandrea
    Participant

Hello everyone is it possible to have some feedback on my website? http://www.sorrentix.com/
    Thank you so much! =)

tomrogers123

I love the simplicity! Given it’s a personal site though, you might consider adding a photograph of you in the header to create more of a “one-to-one” connection with the visitor. This kind of approachability progression is useful if you’re trying to get work out of it.

lucas572

Love it! That hover effect on your name is a very nice touch too.

I’m not too keen on the left-margin difference between your logo and the “hello everyone” section, I’d line those two things up personally.

Apart from that, love it.

sorrentandrea
    Participant

Thanks for the feedback!
    I’ll think about the “left-align” of the logo =)

sorrentandrea
    Participant

anyone else? =)

howlermiller
    Participant

The hover effects seem a little inconsistent to me. Here’s what I mean: On the front page alone, you have three different hover effects. All of those hover effects have the exact same meaning: “I’m a link! Click me!”. However, none of those hover effects have anything in common, the start color is different, the end color is different, and the background colors are different. It feels weird to me, having all of those different styles for one meaning. That’s probably my biggest quibble with it, and that could be interpreted as personal opinion. :)

I think the ‘Hire Me’ form needs a little work too. It doesn’t explain itself, it’s not very interesting compared to the rest of the site, and it gets waaay to wide if you have a big screen.

So those are my thoughts. Looks like a great site though! Nicely done!

sorrentandrea
    Participant

@howlermiller I totally understand what you’re saying about the inconsistence. I faced that problem for a very long time. It was the main problem to me. I went this way because I tried every option(like having all the same color, all the same hover effect, etc..). But.. I don’t know how to say…the page looked flat, without life. So I decided to have 3 different effects but really similars. I made this scheme: the links of the footer look red like the navigation and on the hover effect they look the same color of the main part, I tought to connect this way the different parts of the page. I still think that it’s a little bit confusing, and you confirmed it, but I can’t find a better solution for the moment.
    About the “hire me” form I wanted it really minimal, but I need to agree that it’s too large on wide screen =)
    Thanks!

sorrentandrea
    Participant

@posterity576 I heard this problem one time, but I never studied in deep. I can make this without problem, but I would like to know more. Is it just a problem because the HTML is for content and CSS is for style, or any other reasons?
    thanks

eristic
    Participant

Your “About Me” picture is huge and took me a while to load. It’s the same picture on the “Contact Me” page, so you might want to think about scaling it down. Your writing needs a lot of edits, as in, it is grammatically difficult to read. It depends on who you want to appeal to, however. Your front page, though it looks nice, reads choppily. If you’re a computer science student, you wouldn’t be self-taught. Also, “involved” sort of hangs there.

On a design level, it’s smart and responsive. Good work on the design elements!

howlermiller
    Participant

@sorrentandrea The only real problem I see is with your name. It’s a link, but the parts that say ‘web design’ and ‘graphic design’ are not links. I would either take away the link on your name (there are two other ways to get to the ‘about me’ page, anyhoo) or style those other two pieces of text differently. It doesn’t have to be a drastic change, but something that tells the user “This is emphasis, not a link”.

Also, I feel like your logo is a little bit out of place. It seems like it should be up and to the left, a bit more like this: http://postimage.org/image/8pxop9h9b/

sorrentandrea
    Participant

@howlermiller Ok, I totally agree with you. I’ll find a way to change the style to that words =)

@eristic
    thanks for the observation about the image, I totally forgot to scale it down! =) I don’t keep the message about the home page: I’m a computer science student and I’m learning by myself graphic design. What’s wrong?
    My english knowledge is not the best. I’m studying but I have to work better on this.

sorrentandrea
    Participant

@posterity576 thanks for the accurate answer I’ll make this change. =)

FatStraw

I agree with everybody’s suggestion on here; especially with the “Web Design” and “Graphic Design” not being blue like your name because I thought that was a link.

Another small thing to note is maybe use the HTML code ' for your single quotes because it shows a display error when I am browsing on my Firefox.
    Here is a screenshot of what I am talking about: http://postimage.org/image/8gweco6l3/

Overall, I like your website; it has a nice simple look to it. The hover effect on your name was also cool!

Edit: You’re missing a quotation mark around your meta charset code:

eristic
    Participant

@sorrentandrea On the front page, for example, you’ve spelled what I’m assuming is a foreign word for “science” — I would also delete the “involved” and just write

HELLO EVERYONE I’M ANDREA SORRENTINO,
    A COMPUTER SCIENCE STUDENT SELF-TAUGHT IN
    WEB DESIGN AND GRAPHIC DESIGN

I’m being critical here, but you have to think about your audience. You want a potential client to stay as long on your portfolio that they contact you. A glaring error in English might throw them off. Who knows, though?

@posterity576
    A vocabulary lover, for sure. However, the handle has a rich past, as it was the name of the first website I created with a friend in high school. It was a forum for debating controversial topics.

sorrentandrea
    Participant

@FatStraw thanks for the problem you have pointed out =)

@eristic
    thanks man, I’m going to revisit all of what I wrote, following your tips =)
    You all really helped me so THANK YOU! :D

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.