Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Feedback on My new mobile site

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Steven Gardner
    Participant

This is the first release for testing of our mobile version of our large community website.

http://m.fifedirect.org.uk

Its designed for smartphones in mind.

I would love to here your feedback on it. We plan to add goelocation in the second phase of release.

Cheers

Johnnyb

I think it functions well, and the information is well laid out and easy to find. I’m not a big fan though of using the jquery mobile styling for web pages, I think it’s better reserved for apps myself. I much prefer more custom looking mobile sites, but that’s just my opinion.

I like the lay out of your mobile site. Navigation seems easy enough for the common user to understand. Looks like you are on the right track! Congrats

standuncan

I like the site. Congrats

@TT_Mark
    , I was curious why you would rather have one design/site instead of two? It seems to me that with a separate “mobile” friendly site you could have a lot less file size and a lot quicker load speeds? And then have a responsive desktop version in case someone with a smaller screen (or any size for that matter) wants to access your “desktop” site. This is what I am building now with my own portfolio.

chrisburton
    Participant

I agree with both @TT_Mark and @JohnnyB. I think it’s more appropriate not to use a subdomain for the mobile version if you don’t have to. With this design, I can’t see why you wouldn’t use media queries and have a responsive layout all together.

standuncan

I definitely agree with replacing images when you can. I have been doing that as much as I can lately, with images for IE since I work a lot with gradients and I don’t like the IE Filter grads.

I was just thinking if you have a lot more content on the desktop version and use CSS to not display it on the mobile version, but the content would still be loading in the markup.

I am still trying to develop a separate mobile site, but like I said a responsive desktop site as well. It’s good practice for me. So I can always just use the responsive desktop site and not the mobile if I want. Thanks for your input.

shameek_c

Awesome stuff ! What tools did you use to build it ?

Steven Gardner
    Participant

Cheers Guys for all the great feedback.

There’s a lot of good points and things I need to change & improve. I think I need to take a look at speeding things up a bit by removing images where I can. But as I say its still in its testing phase.

I had considered developing a responsive design for this but the full site is massive and has a complicated navigational structure that I don’t think will work too well on a mobile.

@shameek_c
    I used the Jquery Mobile Framework with HTML5.

@TT_Mark
    I will definitely have a look at the google link.

Thanks again for the valuable advise.

Steven

inVantage

I would double the resolution of your icons, but scale them to the size they hold now. That way with high DPI phones, the render will be sharp.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.