Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Feedback on my design

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    theplastickid
    Participant

Would love some feedback on a design I am creating:

Site Preview

chrisburton
    Participant

I don’t think it’s bad but it could use some more work. Such as using the Harabara typeface – it has really bad kerning. I once contacted the designer to have him fix it but he wouldn’t budge. I do however like the typeface beside the image. The decoration on the logo really serves no purpose as it doesn’t fit right. The ‘background-noise’ effect has been overly used in this industry and I wouldn’t hate to see that go as well. Also, try using a darker body text, the contrast makes it hard to read.

I think you have something here but a little more work and it should make all the difference. I am not talking about just a few hours but really take your time.

tobeeornot

I think you should evenly align the navigation buttons with the image box below it. I don’t mind the noise but perhaps you could experiment with with different shades. I think it looks nice but a little unfinished. The image on the logo does look extraneous too.

I think it is nice. But you should do something with the images. Maybe you should use some borders or something there

TheDoc

I think the balloons look a little cheesy.

I feel like something could be done with those images, the look a little unstyled – but I’m not sure what to suggest.

standuncan

I agree with @ChristopherBurton. I also think the large white text to the left of the images should have its drop-shadow/text-shadow darkened a bit to help contrast the white text on the background. Less noise – remember “less is more”. Swirls/leaves on the logo look out of place. Darken the body copy a little bit and maybe use use some white text-shadow to give it am emboss look. The blue arrow and font… looks way out of place/gross. The balloons?? As far as the images, I think if you separated the four of them (space in-between) and gave them a thick white border, it might make them look a little classier rather than a cheap collage look.

It has potential, just needs to be flushed out.

chrisburton
    Participant

@standuncan- Do you mean emboss (bubble/raised) or a letterpress effect (pressed into the page)?

standuncan

Doh! Yeah I meant letterpress.

theplastickid
    Participant

Wow amazing feedback thank you so much. This was literally just thrown together. Its eventually going to be an e-commerce shop. I will tweak the design and spend some time on it and post an update. :)

theplastickid
    Participant

@ChristopherBurton Your right the logo is a total pain, it was supplied to me by the client and they want me to use it. Its awful though, not really sure what to do with it.

theplastickid
    Participant

I have done away with the balloons had to agree with @TheDoc. The noise I am going to keep, the client wanted me to use heavy textured backgrounds that looked awful so this high noise background I think makes a good compromise.

Will still make some more changes but here is an update

Johnnyb

Personally I prefer the headline text in the first example, without the bevel/emboss look to it – I don’t feel that effect suits the rest of the design.

Also, minor thing but you spelled ‘affordable’ incorrectly.

Finally, I like the blue handwritten text but don’t like the arrow with it. Looks like a 5 year old drew it. I’d suggest using a different hand-drawn arrow, perhaps one of these: http://www.istockphoto.com/stock-illustration-10903553-doodle-arrows.php?st=ae1bc2e

John

theplastickid
    Participant

Made some more amendments: http://www.brettgolding.com/concept1.jpg @tannercampbell I don’t have a working model yet no this is just a PS mock up

chrisburton
    Participant

The hand-drawn script does not suit the other typeface…at all. In my opinion, it’s poorly designed just like Harabara and is not complimentary.

Having said that, I think now you’re getting to the point where you don’t know where to go with this. I say this because it seems your making simple mistakes by throwing things in the design that really don’t make sense. There’s no consistency with what you’re doing. The dividers look odd and it seems everything has a poor grid to it. I’m not saying this to be negative or shy you away. I just don’t want you to waste your time just for us to approve.

I would suggest taking a break for one day without looking at the design. This usually helps me think more clearly and helps me target the mistakes.

stevedeer

There is no concept or idea that links the design of the site with the products. You seem to be throwing bad quality at it in desperation which is a shame as the 4 products shown seem to be really well crafted (but in that frame??? yuck!!!). The copy is a bit naff (what does ‘afforable’ mean?) I would personally go for minimalism design for the products to shine. Something like…

http://www.bestmadeco.com/
    http://tatt.ly/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.