Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Favourite email service

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    karlpcrowley
    Participant

Hi all, just doing a quick survey for a side project and would like to know the following

1. Your favourite (preferably free) email service
    2. Why it is your favourite
    3. What do you like most about it
    4. What do you like least about it

Number 1 is the most important so the rest are optional

chrisburton
    Participant

1. Gmail (Sparrow looks promising, though)

2. It was quick to setup with my work/personal email and I literally get 0 spam messages.

3. Same as above

4. I have a lot of communication in my emails (sometimes going 50 deep) so it would be nice in someway if I could search through them easier if I need to.

TheDoc

1. Gmail
    2. Super easy to set up, enjoy the labels, sorting, marking things as important, always being updated, etc etc
    4. Can’t really think of anything. Would prefer it to be ‘outside’ of the Google-Everything atmosphere.

chrisburton
    Participant

@TheDoc just reminded me of something I’m going to blog about, maybe on netmag. It has to do with Gmail’s Filters.

TheDoc

Ah yes, the filters are great!

Senff
    Participant

1. iCloud
    2. Push email on iPhone
    3. Push email and syncing between Mac, Web, PC, iPhone, iPad
    4. Push email sometimes totally doesn’t work

Well actually, to be very honest….it sucks. But the push notifications do it for me. If GMail would offer push on iPhone, I’d use that right away.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Senff I think this is where Blackberry is superior.

HoughtonA
    Participant

1. Gmail (surprise!)
    2. It’s cheap and I don’t ever have to worry about not being able to access it
    3. Like Chris said, 0 spam
    4. I wish organizing mail was more intuitive. (also, a nitpick, but that reply button feels like it’s hidden)
    spadooky

1. gmail
    2. loads quickly, moves quickly, and links actually work when you click them. (sorry, comparing it to hotmail in my head)
    3. the stuff in #2, plus what others have said–no spam, easy access, etc.
    4. i really wish there was a more obvious way to sort by unread messages than the syntax in the search bar that even right now i can’t remember, and will probably have to google later (omg, it’s a conspiracy!!!11one). also, when they first implemented the new layout, it looked to me like a site with a missing stylesheet or something, just unfinished and stupid. i’ve since gotten used to it.

Senff
    Participant

@karlpcrowley I actually have iCloud, my own IMAP mail, Yahoo, Hotmail, GMail all configured in the iOS mail client (overdoing it much, eh!)…but it doesn’t send push notifications for any of those except iCloud.

Senff
    Participant

I don’t NEED them really, but the thing is, they all have their purpose:
    – iCloud: because of the push notifications
    – own IMAP: required to send email with my @senff.com address
    – Yahoo: where I sign up for all newsletters and stuff
    – Hotmail: is my Live Messenger ID, some of the people in my Messenger list use that to reach me
    – GMail: same but for people who have me in GMail Talk/Google Chat

OK now that I wrote all this down, this looks ridiculous. :-/

I’ll check the GMail pushy thing. Although the thing I want/need most importantly, is to be able to send mail using my @senff.com address as both the “send as” and “reply to” address. Let’s see if Gmail can do that ;)

Senff
    Participant

Push is enabled on my iPhone (I think this is a “all-accounts” setting, not “per-account”) but when I send a message to my Gmail, I don’t get a push notification. when I send to my iCloud, I immediately get notified. So it’s not iOS failing here, and GMail just doesn’t do it.

Every time I try to figure this out and make this work, I am reminded why I keep giving up. ;)

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.