Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Favorite text editor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    noahgelman
    Participant

I use Dreamweaver CS4. It’s a very good web editor and it’s very easy keeping track of all my files and can post and retrieve files quickly.

It feels very heavy though. Is there another program for windows that can do everything that Dreamweaver does but in a lighter way. Does that make any sense?

UPDATE EDIT:
    I just started using Aptana, and I’m liking it a lot. Very nice UI, it’s easier to type up code in. It has more defining colors than Dreamweaver which uses only a couple for large portions so Aptana is a lot easier to look at.

Also, a feature I really like, when you’re adding a style to an element in html or css, it has a little icon for each browser that style applies to. Haven’t checked remote server stuff yet, but it looks like it’s gonna be very good.

sliver37

Kind of an old thread but none the less…

I use WeBuilder, It is one of the best I have used on windows. Light on resources and plenty of features, I’m a fan of coding everything without any help, so up until recently was just using Notepad++ (simple syntax highlighting). I wanted a built in FTP to remotely edit/save so stumbled on WeBuilder. makes life so much easier to just ctrl+s then tab over to see the live site change.

It’s a little pricey but if your a windows user it’s definitely worth checking out (besides there’s always a free trial.) http://www.blumentals.net/webuilder/

I use Dreamweaver CS3 for my web design work. I have been using this one last two years.
    Its very nice web editor. I had many site completed with the help of this editor.

TheDoc

I suppose I can update this!

I’m still using Dreamweaver at work (installed on all of our machines, Windows).

I finally got around to trying out Coda, it is my new 1st choice for working at home (Mac).

noahgelman
    Participant

Oh, are we doing updates on this one? I had tried Aptana (which I mentioned in an earlier post) but it was pretty buggy. Had some issues pulling and putting files. Also had some weird permission issues. I switched back to dreamweaver but I’m still open to other options on Windows. But it also needs to have built in FTP.

MrSoundless

I used Komodo Edit till a couple of days ago. After I installed my SSD I thought I should try a new editor. I’m on JetBrains PhpStorm now and I have to say I already like it more then Komodo Edit! Just to give one thing which is better then Komodo: It highlights html and sql in php strings!

It looks much cooler too :P

Edit: I also used Notepad++ for quick edits. After I got PhpStorm I didn’t feel the need to install N++.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

The thread on this screencast turned up a ton of suggestions for Windows, since the clear winner on Mac is TextMate =) (Although Coda and Espresso have their fans)

https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts/90-simple-textmate-tips/

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.