Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Favorite text editor

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    bruizerbeans

I’ve been testing out text editors for a few days and I think I found my fave, Komodo Edit. I’m on windows and I wish I could test out Textmate and Coda. Those of you using Windows,

What is your favorite editor?

On Mac, Whats your Favorite?

What others would you suggest for me to try?

kb2tfa

I’m on Linux, but what I use is cross platform and free.

I use the latest netbeans editor netbeans.org

It has remote edit, like coda. I have my whole remote site on it, and I can edit/save to the remote site.

works great.

TheDoc

I use Dreamweaver at work (PC) and at home (Mac).

I know people whine about the price tag, but you’re certainly not buying it alone, you’re getting it as a part of a creative suite (most designers and developers are going to need access to Photoshop and Illustrator at least).

I like its FTP function (despite some extremely minor complaints about it lagging occasionally). I enjoy the auto closing tags (which you can also find in the majority of other editors). All in all, most of us are using a CS of some sort, why not use the program that comes with it?

bruizerbeans
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    I use Dreamweaver at work (PC) and at home (Mac).

I know people whine about the price tag, but you’re certainly not buying it alone, you’re getting it as a part of a creative suite (most designers and developers are going to need access to Photoshop and Illustrator at least).

I like its FTP function (despite some extremely minor complaints about it lagging occasionally). I enjoy the auto closing tags (which you can also find in the majority of other editors). All in all, most of us are using a CS of some sort, why not use the program that comes with it?

I have Dreamweaver CS4. I like it but I don’t like that it is a resource hog. I would rather save my memory for Photoshop and Illustrator. Other then that I do use it when I forget certain CSS and HTML tag.

When I use other text editors, I like how I am forced to hand-code. This helps me learn and remember HTML and CSS.

TheDoc
    "bruizerbeans" wrote:
    When I use other text editors, I like how I am forced to hand-code. This helps me learn and remember HTML and CSS.

For the record, I ONLY hand code in DW.

bruizerbeans
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    For the record, I ONLY hand code in DW.

Sorry, I didn’t mean to imply that you didn’t hand-code. I was just saying that Dreamweaver makes me lazy when I use it because it is so much easier for me to use the nifty tools available on Dreamweaver. :D

Matt

Lately, I’ve been completely using Ruby and Yaml, so I would have to say RubyMine. I use HAML and SASS for the HTML/CSS (respectively), RJS for Javascript (does what I need) and rails is my main framework of choice. RubyMine is the best IDE I’ve found for the job.

bzmillerboy
    Participant

I use Dreamweaver to hand code but just because it came with CS3 (which I got for photoshop). I tested Coda and loved it, would be great to use but I can’t justify $100 when I already have DW.

I agree DW is a resource hog.

akeenlabs
    Participant

I can’t count the number of times I’ve gone back to the drawing board looking for the perfect text editor nor the number of text editors I’ve tried. If you’re looking for a real text editor I think Ultra Edit will fit your perfectly: http://www.ultraedit.com. It’s column mode feature is unique and very, very useful.

Also, Dreamweaver is NOT a text editor; sorry to all the DW fans. It has the capability to edit text files, but it lacks a number of features that should be available from a text editor. It’s a web editor and IMHO not a very good one at that.

TheDoc
    "akeenlabs" wrote:
    Also, Dreamweaver is NOT a text editor; sorry to all the DW fans. It has the capability to edit text files, but it lacks a number of features that should be available from a text editor. It’s a web editor and IMHO not a very good one at that.

I’d love to hear your reasoning behind this.

Color coding, snippets, auto complete, ftp…

akeenlabs
    Participant
    "TheDoc" wrote:

Snippets, auto complete, ftp, etc are all features of a development environment (I realize that Ultra Edit, my example text editor, does have ftp capabilities, but I should note that only in some of the most recent versions :) ). Typically, IDEs have much fewer "power tools" for manipulating text. While that has changed some in the past few years with bigger and more bloated IDEs, I still think there is a line between the two. For example, finely-tuned control over find and replace, column editing, hex editing and scripting/macros are features typically only found in text editors. Don’t get me wrong, I use both, I just think there is a time and a place for each.

Matt
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    "akeenlabs" wrote:

Color coding, snippets, auto complete, ftp…

With you on that. I don’t use DW from day to day, but I used to when I was big into PHP development. DW is a complete, fully featured editor with plenty-a-helpings of extra odds and ends.

TheDoc

Fair enough. I didn’t mean to antagonize or anything, was simply curious.

I use it at work because that’s simply what we have installed on our machines. Due to my familiarity with it, I use it at home as well. I keep on putting off trying Coda, I should really give it a go.

kb2tfa
    "xheathen" wrote:
    Anyone wanna team up and just develop a Coda-clone for Windows? We’d be the coolest kids in town :)

Already been done http://www.netbeans.org. I use it for all my remote sites. view all remote files, sync, edit, snippets…

federicosil

Gedit on Linux

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.