The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Implementing an SVG Icon System" Nov 30 - 6:00 PM Eastern

• # January 15, 2013 at 12:38 am

I’m pretty new to CSS, so please bare with me. I’m trying to figure out how to expand a drop down form. I don’t want it in a drop down at all.

So let’s say here is the dropdown menu:

I want it like this:

list list list

# January 15, 2013 at 2:57 am

This tutorial might help you.

If you provide a demo on Codepen, or a link to your site people can help you with more specifics.

Or if you already have something online, post the link.

# January 15, 2013 at 3:32 am

Hmmm. I can’t quite gather what you’re asking, but if you’re talking about changing default browser styling of form options, I agree with Mr. Coyier in what he says in this article: “… try everything you can to make that not necessary…[it is] more likely obnoxious at best and bad UX at worst.” Meaning making drastic changes to something people are very familiar with is more trouble than it’s worth. Uggh, sorry I sound like I’m on a soapbox now…

But if you’re talking more about a navigation menu, like in the header at the top of a page, there are an endless amount of tutorials out there to make your own. Or maybe even go to and study how the different versions are made? Just stumbled onto that site…didn’t take a lot of time examining the code, but seems solid.

Anyway, hope that helps, and maybe you can give us some more info into what you’re trying to accomplish (make a pen!)

# January 15, 2013 at 9:50 am

Here is the page I’m trying to expand the forms on.

# January 15, 2013 at 9:57 am

Yeah….you can’t do that with select menus without an awful lot of extra markup & javascript.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed