Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS expand-y Div if needed?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    JoblessPunk

Hello,
    I’m having a hard time trying to figure this out, maybe someone could help me out.

I’m designing a website for a client and I want it to be as simple as possible for him to go in and edit the body-copy as needed. I have it set up (well setting it up) so that the #copy div will display information from a different page. So for example if you are at the home page the #copy div shows the page info from "home.html"

Here is a URL to the page I’m working on:
    http://www.joblesspunkdesigns.com/clvs/

I’m running into 2 problems at the moment.

First – I don’t know how to expand the #copy div down if needed. I can go in and edit the #container div so that it has a height of 3000px and the things I have to stick to the bottom and do what they are told. But I can’t get the #container div or the #copy div to expand and push the page down if needed.

Code:
    #container {
    position:relative;
    z-index:2;
    width:852px;
    height:1020px;
    overflow:hidden;
    margin:0 auto;
    text-align:left;
    background:#FFF;
    }

#copy {
    position:absolute;
    width:555px;
    height:100%;
    left:263px;
    top:261px;
    }

*I have the overflow set to hidden because I get a weird 500px space at the bottom
    *I tried changing the height to 100%, auto, max-height=XXX, min-height=XXX and nothing would push the page down if needed.

Second –
    I’m not sure this is the best way to do it, but on my home/index.html page in the #content div I wanted to link the home information to my home.html. I used object and embed tags to do it, and I don’t know how to set it up so the text will push the page down and not add a scroll bar.

Code:

*I have tried 100% and auto and they don’t work. they just make the box about a 30px height.

Also,
    I don’t really understand the CSS div code:

Code:
    position;absolute;
    position:relative;
    position;inherit;
    position:fixed;
    position:static;

I read somewhere that you should code with a relative position and use absolute rarely. It seems like if I try to do an all relative position for my div’s the page kinda blows up. So I flip-flop between absolute and relative, whatever works out best for the item.

Anyways,
    Can anyone please help me out? I bet it is something really simple, but I can’t figure it out.

TheDoc

Divs will always expand to the content contained within them as long as you don’t set the height of the div.

JoblessPunk
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    Divs will always expand to the content contained within them as long as you don’t set the height of the div.

I tried not defining the #container/#copy div height but the div shrinks to about a 20px high div aligned to the top.

TheDoc

That means you have faaaar bigger problems. Depending on where your floated items are, you’ll need to make sure to clear them. Chris has a great article on that here:

https://css-tricks.com/all-about-floats/

At the end of the day, you just won’t be able to use a fixed height.

JoblessPunk
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    That means you have faaaar bigger problems. Depending on where your floated items are, you’ll need to make sure to clear them. Chris has a great article on that here:

https://css-tricks.com/all-about-floats/

At the end of the day, you just won’t be able to use a fixed height.

hmm :/
    thank you, I will read that article.

JoblessPunk

Alright, I got it to work.
    A lot of tweaking, and I’m not sure I would be able to retrace my steps.

There are still a few minor bugs I will work out, but I’m having a kinda weird one.

So my legal information is suppose to be static and stick to the bottom of the page. But I was running into 2 problems.

One –
    When I had it stick to the bottom of the page my #copy div would push the page down, but would act like the #legal div was just a background image and would go over it instead of pushing it down with it.

Two – When I have the #legal div relative to the #copy div, yes if the body copy did need to push down the page the #legal div will get pushed down with it, but if the information is short then the #legal div will be right below the info… so it will be anywhere and NOT a static point.

here is the code:

Code:
    HTML:

Code:
    CSS:
    #legal {
    position:absolute;
    width:555px;
    height:27px;
    margin-bottom:5px;
    }

and here is the link to my comp page:
    http://www.joblesspunkdesigns.com/clvs/
    *the home button is the only one that "works" at the moment.

I know there is slight movement, and the legal info gets cut off, I will deal with that later. I just cant figure how to make the #legal div stick on the bottom with the #copy div not going over it, reacting with it and pushing that down the page as well.

Thanks.

___________________________________________________________________________________________

I just had to sleep on it and the answer came to me. I re-organized my divs on my index.html so that the legal info is attached to the sidebar instead of the bottom of the #copy div. Then added a margin-bottom:20px; to the #copy div so it doesn’t run into the legal info.

Thank you TheDoc for pointing out what my problem was. It wasn’t an easy fix, but at least I knew witch direction to go in.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.