Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS End of my proverbial rope – browser text size breaks layout

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    tannercampbell
    Participant

I may have more posts in this forum in a week than anyone in history.

http://bracesandfaces.com

I’m using a 42″ monitor at 1920×1080 so this might just be me … but I doubt it.

If the text size (zoom) is decreased too much on the browser my sidebar slides under my main content. This is immediately apparent in IE8.

I gave my divs px widths and not percentages … they are relatively positioned and floated left … see below:

#ContentContainer {
    position: relative;
    height: auto;
    width: 100%;
    margin: 0;
    background-color: #e8f8ff;
    }

#LeftContent {
    margin: 15px 0 0 15px;
    float: left;
    width: 625px;
    height: auto;
    }

#Sidebar {
    margin: 15px 0 0 30px;
    width: 225px;
    float: left;
    clear: right;
    }

Ideas?

wolfcry911
    Participant

I don’t have IE available right now, but in FF4/Mac the last navigation tab is dropping (at regular text size) and the left content is floating against that tab forcing the side-bar to drop. I would have the the content container clear the navigation and rework the nav to fit (I personally hate the use of fractional pixels like in your li width of 129.9px).

robst

I’m sorry this question is irrelevant, but I see you’ve used “position:relative.” I’ve never understood the purpose of using relative positioning alone if you’re not using absolute positioning inside the relative positioned element. I understand that if you have a badge/icon that you position absolutely to the banner (which is relatively positioned) the badge will drop down and stay in place depending on if the page gets bigger.

If I am correct, relative positioning means things stay relative to their location. So, you don’t have full control on exact placement like absolute? So, then what’s the real purpose of using relative positioning all by itself?

Sorry…just posing a question. The self help books and online sites still get me confused on the subject of relative positioning!

chrisburton
    Participant

@robst: In this case as I look at the above code alone, I don’t see a reason to add relative positioning. However, in some cases you would need to use relative positioning without having the purpose of absolute positioning such as z-index.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.