Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS EMs on Non-Elastic Site?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    ethanmiller
    Participant

Hi, I am building a site that is non-elastic and non-responsive. And it is unlikely to be made responsive later. I have been using ems and not pixels to specify all layout, ie. widths, heights, top, left, etc. I started doing this because I thought I would try to make the site elastic at first, but it turns out that the design was not suitable. Now I am wondering if it is really stupid to be using ems and not pixels. It is annoying to do all the calculation and also not to know at a glance the size. Somehow all the complex numbers (like 1.34em) just seem overly complex. But I am having a hard time understanding the tradeoffs here. Is it really just a matter of preference?

All opinions would be helpful! I am just trying to figure out how best to think abou this. What’s at stake?

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

Well, i have read a few articles written by Chris in which he uses

html {
    font-size: 62.5%;
    }

p {
    font-size: 1.4em; // equivalent to 14px
    }

I could be wrong about that, but honestly i say stick with what you know. I dont think it would be totally wrong to keep the em size as long as you can easily maneuver throughout your code and understand the sizes you set.

…/ The code above could be a smiggin off, ill try to post a resource here in a sec.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.