Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Eclipse with Aptana plugin

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    soap
    Participant

So I just started using this and I can say that my search for the ‘best’ editor has ended.

I recommend it to anybody.

jamygolden

Awesome, thanks. I’ll install it and try it out tonight :)
    Btw, what OS do you use?

soap
    Participant

Well there’s a standalone that you can try, don’t really need eclipse. I just already had eclipse for Droid apps so I used the plugin. Here’s the standalone link: http://www.aptana.com/products/studio2/download.

They have downloads for windows, osx and linux. I use windows.

soap
    Participant

Don’t be shocked by the apparent complexity of the interface. It takes very little getting used to and it awesome once you are used to it. Extremely customizable, built-in FTP and version control as well for working with a team :)

jamygolden

I like the thought of linux or OSx as an OS. If I got a mac it would have to be the best one (I don’t know why… I’m crazy) and I don’t have enough money for that yet so I’ll settle for linux so long. The only problem I have with linux is that I don’t particularly like the text editors. So I’m pretty excited to try this out tonight =)

soap
    Participant

oh did i mention the plethora of plugins..

TT_Mark

I’m used Aptana Studio 3 Beta at the moment. There’s a couple of small problems with it, and it doesn’t do some things I really liked with Eclipse, however it’s lightweight and probably my favourite editor on Windows

davidlab.be
    Participant

I tried aptana…was not impressed with the php side of things and the html/css side was average at best. Then I started using Netbeans and have never looked for anything else. It is truly a hidden gem that very few talk about, but those who have discovered it feel as I do.
    It works amazing with wordpress and jquery! You have to use it to see the magic…code hinting is incredible….yes even wordpress…jquery…and any code library! you need to try and and take time playing with it as you will discover new trick everytime using it.

soap
    Participant

Never tried netbeans. For the record, aptana/eclipes works well with and has code hinting for every js library as well. It also has PHP plugins which do the trick.

davidlab.be
    Participant

netbeans goes beyond code hinting. Here are a couple cool examples….
    Lets say you are set up in your wordpress project and you want to add a wordpress function such as wp_list_categories() which is a wordpress function that is used often to build navigation. When you start typing the function NB will give you the code hints….you will also see that NB (netbeans) knows that the function takes arguments. Select your option from the list of code hints and then the cursor is in a highlighted field in the functions arguments inside the parenthesis ready for you to fill in the blanks.

Another really useful feature when working with php and wordpress or any code language for that matter is if you put your cursor over a variable, css or function tag and press (ctrl) on a pc (command) on a mac you will see the code turn to a link….press the link and it opens the source file for that code and takes you right there! So for example using that wp tag in the above example….if you put your cursor withing wp_list_categories() within your template file and (ctrl) click on pc (command) click mac … you will see it turn to a link….click the link and it opens the core WP file to the function source with the cursor at the wp_list_categories() function and then you can see the arguments that it needs and takes. This trick works really well with css…same procedure.. from within the code cursor over your id or class name and click it…takes you to your css file and right to that id or class within the file.

Again…this is just touching the surface of NB. Many cool features and plugins.

did i mention the Local History? saves all your revisions of files and changes that you made and you can compare the current file to your past file and convert back to any change you made in a double pane display that is easy to use then explain.

PS. NB code hints all your custom functions and css selectors as well. NB knows everything you are doing and have done! NB for that matter code hints anything you put into your project files…like wp…jquery…or any custom framework. Just make sure the core files are within the project and NB scans them into memory at start up ready to help you when needed….very cool stuff

davidlab.be
    Participant

Let me add that use the beta version 7 if you going to try it. It has word wrap added. Other versions you had to go into the source code for the program and do a little trickery to give that option.
    Also…I have been using it for about six months and when I first went to use it I thought it was junk. Used to for about 10 minutes then pushed it aside and continued my search for a for code editor/ide. After about a week I decided to try it again and thats when I explored more and found that WOW.. this is really cool after all. After a couple of days I never looked back.

If you like dark backgrounds for coding let me know….I can send you my color profiles that I have created for it.

davidlab.be
    Participant

Have you had a chance to try it? let me know what you think

beta 7 just went to RC1. I just loaded it and it seems great!

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.