Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Ease of Use Suggestions: Sub-page navigation

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • Author
    siouxfan45
    Participant

I’m building a network which allows attorneys to build their own websites. If you’ve ever visited an attorney website, you’ll realize many will create page after page of practice areas in a widely-held (and poorly considered) belief among attorneys that more pages MUST mean more traffic, and thus more business.

Since most attorneys have little or no web experience, I’m making the site builder as easy to use as possible. Part of that is the fact that the site will be mostly pre-built, all they do is add their content and – BAM! New site made.

This brings me to my question, what should I do for sub-page navigation? I have considered a number of options:

1. Each parent page will include, within an ordered list, links to the sub-pages. The sub-page will also include the same ordered list, linking to all the sub-pages of the parent page.

2. Each parent page will include, within an ordered list, links to the sub-pages. Each sub-page will include a link at the top (or breadcrumbs/navigation tree/whatever you want to call it) back to the parent page.

3. Each parent page and sub-page of the parent page will include a sub-menu with all the pages in that category.

I’ve thrown out the idea of a sub-menu dropping down off the main menu, as I know many will fail to consider the aesthetics before deciding that a sub-menu with fifty pages is a-okay.

I would like some input on this as I am not sure what way to go. Should I allow users to choose between these options or just stick with one? If one (or even two), what option do you believe is the best?

Viewing 1 post (of 1 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.