Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Dynamic Content, best practice question

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    idesignstuff
    Participant

What would be the best way to approach this:
    I have a main horizontal navigation at the top of the page. One of the tabs is for products. On the products page I am going to have a left side vertical navigation, which includes the product categories. Do I need to make a separate HTML page for each product category? I would prefer the page not to refresh each time a new category is selected which would mean using AJAX. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank You :)

I would go this route: Write the markup for every single category container on this page, serve the content server side on the first load and then hide them with JavaScript. If the user clicks on a category link, display the according container.

So you have a valid fallback for users with no JavaScript and an easy solution to your problem. The only challenge I can imagine is the page weight if you are heavily relying on images within the categories. Then you should consider AJAX or taking the reload into account.

idesignstuff
    Participant

Thank you for your advice, this is what I shall try

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.