Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Downloadable Audio File.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Attila Hajzer
    Participant

so im making a website for an artist (musician) and he asked for some of his audio tracks to be ‘downloadable’.

i was wondering how i would do that. ive already got the audio link image so when they click, it downloads. but i DONT want that to be directed to that safari player that sometimes happense.

i want the Regular file download popup to open weather their on safaro or Mozilla.

TheDoc

You would have to override the user’s browser settings via PHP.

http://elouai.com/force-download.php

Having said that, I would recommend against it. There’s nothing worse than forcing a user’s hand in any decision making. Provide instructions for users that wish to download it to their hard drive (“Right click and Save-link as”, etc).

You can also provide the MP3 in a .zip which will cause the popup download dialog to appear.

Travis Love
    Participant

Not if they just want to hear it. Users (like me) are lazy, it is easier just to hear the song from the site or stream it, rather then going through all the work to find a place to save it, listen, and then delete it if I don’t like the song. All just to have to do it all over again per song. Giving the user the option is ideal IMHO.

TheDoc

I just don’t like changing what a user should be used to experiencing. Having said that, if they are clicking something that specifically says “Download”, that makes sense.

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.