Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums JavaScript Download mp4 files using javascript?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    matthisco
    Participant

Hi Folks,

I have a long list of .mp4’s on a server, is there a way I can download them using javascript, can I pull the files using json somehow?

Thanks in advance

Paulie_D

I don’t understand, if they are on your server why can’t you just access them using FTP?

If they are one someone else’s server then they could do it for you.

matthisco
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

Here is a snippet of the code I’m generating:

length”:xxx,”economics”:”AD_SUPPORTED”,”playsTotal”:3734,”playsTrailingWeek”:13 “FLVURL”:”http://xxx.com/xxx/xx_xx_xxx.mp4″,

is there a way I can pull the mp4’s using javascript? Rather than search for the url in each result set and download them individually?

Thanks

Paulie_D

You still haven’t answered my question.

Are these **your** .mp4 files and if not do you have permission to download them?

matthisco
    Participant

Sorry! – No I cant get access to the server, but I have permission to download them.

Does that make sense?

At the moment I am searching through the code and typing the url into my browser and saving the file to my desktop. There are hundreds of videos, is there a way using javscript to save my time?

Thanks again

Paulie_D

If the JS could access the raw files it seems logical to me that you would have access to that folder on the server and thus should be able to just copy the files over.

I’m a complete beginner at this but, frankly, this seems like an odd request.

CrocoDillon
    Participant

There are jQuery plugins to download files using JS, with complete callbacks so I guess you can create a loop to download them all one after another. But… you might need access to the server hosting the files so not sure if it will work, haven’t tried (browser will just play the mp4 if it won’t work, try it by entering the url in the browser, does it play the mp4 or download it?).

chrisburton
    Participant

Wait. Can we have a URL to the site of these mp4’s to determine if this is legitimate?

Alen
    Participant

> No I cant get access to the server, but I have permission to download them.

Who gave you permission to download these files? Ask them to set up temp. FTP account, login and download the files. If you indeed have hundreds of mp4 files, what do they expect you to sit in front of the computer and spend 8+ hours downloading… Doesn’t make sense.

matthisco
    Participant

HI folks,

I need to download the videos using a API:

http://support.brightcove.com/en/video-cloud/docs/javascript-media-api-examples#find_pop

The idea is to stream them onto our webpages, but Is there a way I can download these videos, without putting the path into the address bar?

Thanks for all the help folks, sorry if I’m not explaining it properly.

Paulie_D

Still waiting to understand why the owner of the files just can’t send them to you.

matthisco
    Participant

Thanks for the reply.

I’ve been told I cannot access the server, I can only stream the videos. I can’t get anymore information than that.

Any ideas how I can download the videos efficiently?

Thanks again

Paulie_D

Nope…frankly this whole thing reeks.

If they’ve only told you that you can only stream them then that’s it.

They **obviously** don’t want you to have access to the raw files.

chrisburton
    Participant

@Paulie_D I figured this to be the case also. Vote to close?

Alen
    Participant

I vote Yes.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • The forum ‘JavaScript’ is closed to new topics and replies.