Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Don’t make me use tables boss!

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

I just started a new job as a web designer. Today my boss said I should start using Dreamweaver and tables because table are faster than divs.

He and I know that divs are a newer/better way of doing things than tables, but I don’t want to use tables!!!

But should I surrender? Are tables better when production speed is important on a fairly simple site?

Thanks,
    Aaron

TheDoc

Tables are only faster if that’s what you know how to use.

Divs are extremely easy to use once you have a good knowledge of CSS.

I would definitely take a stand. If my boss ever asked me to create a site using tables, I would tell him that there was no way I’d do it.

Then again, if you’ve only just started the job, perhaps you should wait on taking a stand.

Matt

Just use CSS-Tables. It’s like using HTML tables without the children crying in the background.

TheDoc
    "Matt" wrote:
    Just use CSS-Tables. It’s like using HTML tables without the children crying in the background.

If you’re just going to use CSS-Tables, there’s really no point, might as well just use regular ol’ HTML tables at that point.

Matt
    "TheDoc" wrote:
    "Matt" wrote:

If you’re just going to use CSS-Tables, there’s really no point, might as well just use regular ol’ HTML tables at that point.

Why? HTML tables are nowhere as accessible as CSS Tables. CSS Tables can do nearly the same as HTML, without affecting the markup. For a Section 508 buff, that’s a good thing.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

beat your boss with a stick until he gets over himself.

al_m473
    Participant

similar question to the one about the close minded teacher, again, is it worth it from a job point
    of view to fight it? I guess only you can answer that. I think you have found out that as I said before
    he who pays the bills usually calls the tune, like it or not.

besides it would certainly be a new learning opportuinty for me if I was forced to use tables, never learned
    to create websites that way and really would not want to do them that way either, but not sure how much
    of a fight I would put up.

Al

Rob MacKay
    Participant

I love how no one actually objected to my stick idea lol

Is it possible he’s testing you to see if you’ll speak up and stand for best practices?

What a horrible situation to be in, I really don’t envy you..

Possibly consult some of the other staff if there are any doing the same thing? Surely if you are being employed as a web developer you are there for your knowledge of the industry. Why your boss would have an opinion on how you develop is beyond me.

I think anyone here can testify they can build a site faster with css/non tabled layouts than they can with tables in dreamweaver.

on an off note, recently, I was trying to create a tabled layout for an email.. my god.. it was so hard. I for one if asked to do that simply couldn’t/wouldn’t. It’s another matter if your job is on the line and I really sympathise, but hell..

If that’s the kind of development they do, perhaps you aren’t in the right place.

Tell him that inevitably the tables are going to make you go over-budget. Especially when it comes to maintaining the site in the future. Seriously, just mention the word "over-budget" and your boss will wet their pants.

I spoke with my other boss(his wife) about it. She said don’t mind him. That works for me.

dcp3450
    Participant

tables can cause problems with being dynamic for other browsers and screen resolutions. This could cause users to become frustrated and choose to leave the site.

I’ve found saying to that to a client scares the hell out of them and they leave me alone about it. lol.

Besides if he wife aka "the other boss" says it’s ok, then let them duke it out.

dcp3450
    Participant
    "Robskiwarrior" wrote:
    I love how no one actually objected to my stick idea lol

hard to argue with good clean logic

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.