Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Design Does every page need an element?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Gregg
    Participant

I’ve a webpage that looks as if it has tabbed content. That is, when you click on a link at the top of the page the link highlights in a way that makes it look as if the content under it is part of a tab.

On my ‘Logs’ page the only thing on the page is a table of (drum roll please) logs. The table has a caption element of ‘Logs’.

So on this page I have the tab ‘Logs’ and the table with the caption ‘Logs’ and I’m wondering if for readers and proper design of the page if I should have an h1 element before the table that says “Logs”.

What I don’t know is if the h1 element is good form even if terribly redundant.

Beverleyh
    Participant
    Gregg
    Participant

Follow up question: So that the page doesn’t become cluttered with h1 elements (when there are already plenty of visual cues) can the element be ‘hidden’? The idea being it is there for the machines but not for sighted users.

Beverleyh
    Participant

Yes. Try googling “hiding elements and accessibility”. You’ll find articles with code snippets and reasons for use depending on visitor/bot needs.

Gregg
    Participant

Thank you, that is just what the doctor ordered.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Design’ is closed to new topics and replies.