Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Does anyone use this on liunx

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    James Burton
    Participant

Hello,

Does anyone on here use the RHEL/Centos software collections for mysql 5.5, httpd 2.4 and etc?

James

Alen
    Participant

I use Ubuntu 14.04. Few people on here use Centos.

Anyways, I don’t think it matters what distro you’re running. Both are great for MySQL/Apache/Nginx etc.

nixnerd
    Participant

Anyways, I don’t think it matters what distro you’re running. Both are great for MySQL/Apache/Nginx etc.

It makes absolutely no difference. Except for the fact that on some distros… you’ll only be able to use MariaDB instead of MySQL. Even that makes no difference.

James Burton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp,

What is different between MYSQL and MariaDB?

Alen
    Participant

Just think of it as MySQL replacement. Just little faster. Or slower.

I wouldn’t really pay too much attention. MySQL will do just fine 99.99% of the time for your needs.

I wouldn’t start complicating things.

nixnerd
    Participant

Yeah… I was just using that as an example. Don’t use MariaDB unless you have to. I use a distro that has dropped MySQL officially and now uses MariaDB. It’s exactly the same thing. Literally.

I was simply trying to illustrate that differences between distros are largely superficial and really just come down to their package manager and release schedule. That’s pretty much it.

James Burton
    Participant

Thank you for your posts @Joe_Temp and @AlenAbdula.

I currently use RHEL 7, Centos 6.5 and Debian 7.6 to run my websites.

James

Alen
    Participant

I run Ubuntu on DigitalOcean and manage it using Forge and SSH.

chrisburton
    Participant

Don’t use MariaDB unless you have to. – @Joe_Temp

I use MariaDB and have had no issues.

It’s exactly the same thing. Literally.

Not exactly. It is a replacement to MySQL

__
    Participant

Don’t use MariaDB unless you have to.

There’s probably two sides to this advice. If you are confused by things like installing databases, or have a lot of other stuff to worry about at the moment, don’t worry about switching to maria.

If nothing is stopping you, however, I would highly recommend switching.

It’s exactly the same thing. Literally.

It is a “drop-in compatible” replacement, but it does have differences. Changes are mostly internal (performance), and the API for each is identical (to the point that clients written for mysql -like PDO and MySQLi- don’t realize it’s not mysql).

Until 5.5, everything is feature-compatible with the same numbered version of MySQL as well. There is now a version 10 branch where features start to diverge, and, if you decide to switch and aren’t held back by your codebase, I highly recommend. For example, it adds fulltext indexing to InnoDB (so, now there’s an engine that supports foreign keys and fulltext!) and allows CURRENT_TIMESTAMP as a default value for DATETIME columns. Lots of other little fixes like that.

James Burton
    Participant

@traq and @chrisburton,

I’ll give MariaDB a try and see if it’s better to switch over.

I know RHEL/Centos 7 is moving from MySQL to MariaDB.

James

nixnerd
    Participant

I don’t do near enough database work to notice the difference. All I know is the setup commands were exactly the same.

If they say it’s great… I guess use it. Makes me feel awesome for having it installed :)

James Burton
    Participant

@Joe_Temp, @Traq, @chrisburton,

I currently use this system config and I would like to know if it’s good config.

Software

Apache httpd
    Apache Tomcat
    MySQL (thinking about moving to MariaDB if test are completed)
    PHP
    VPN for SSH
    IPTables for Firewall
    SELinux

James

chrisburton
    Participant

If you’re familiar with C++, you should take a look at HHVM.

As far as server stuff, I’m the wrong person to ask.

nixnerd
    Participant

Is it a GOOD config? I don’t know. Does it meet your needs? If so, then it’s good.

I personally don’t use Apache… but that’s a personal preference. I find Nginx easier to configure and that works for me.

VPN for SSH? Ok. Seems legit. I don’t use one but I can see why you would.

I don’t know ANYTHING about SELinux other than it was developed by the NSA. Ha ha ha.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.