Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Do You Think This is Possible?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    mvaughn
    Participant

I was thinking about the issues that WordPress premium theme developers have with some people obtaining a theme and then redistributing it for free. Since CSS files can be located remotely would it be possible to host the theme file on a server and password protect it? The theme could then be offered as a paid service in which the end user simply includes an @import statement (or some other type of link) to access the hosted theme stylesheet. It seems like one of the drawbacks might be password authentication to access the theme file from the remote end user’s hosting server.

I’m not much of a server guy so I hope my question makes sense. Seems like I’m missing something here as I would think that if this was feasible someone would be doing it by now. Feel free to point out the glaring flaws in my concept.

Thanks in advance,
    -Michael

Onyx808

I dont think that would work. since the page needs to access the css file…

AshtonSanders
    Participant

Yea… that’s not going to work.

The CSS file is accessed on the client side, so when Bob goes to view a website, the CSS file is downloaded to Bob’s computer. If you password protected the CSS file, Bob would need the password to see the CSS file so that it could be applied to the website.

mvaughn
    Participant

Thanks for the replies. Yep, in talking with a more technical person than I this morning it was pretty apparent that even if you could come up with some type of authentication it could easily be defeated.

Thanks again for taking the time.
    -Michael

Luminated

I think the best way to protect a theme is to heavily watermark all the images in the theme. If the theme doesn’t have many images, then there’s not much you can do, as anybody can manually lift code from any site around and modify it enough to suit their own needs.

It’s just like music…pirates will pirate and nothing can stop it. For every lock, there’s always a key. Luckily, there’s enough folks out there that will gladly pay for what they use.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.