Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Do you still use

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    StephBertha
    Participant

Hi there,

Do you guys still use

for people who have JS turned off? I haven’t seen anybody using it, just wondering if there’s a reason to continue doing so.

– Steph

jamygolden

You should check out Modernizr.

Add class=”no-js” to your <html> element and it will be removed if JS is loaded. This isn’t the only way to do it but it seems to be a very popular method at the moment. I make use of it.

fjorko

Hi

For a newby – can you explain this feature a bit more ?

Thanks

jamygolden

@fjorko are you asking StephBertha or me?

I’ll explain both:

The <noscript>:

Wrap anything within <noscript /> and it will only load if javascript has not loaded. For example:
    <noscript>Please turn on javascript!</noscript>

<html class=”no-js”> & Modernizr:

Modernizr is very useful. Very basically, it provides feature detection along with some other cool features, such as HTML5 tag support for older browsers.

Very simply, Modernizr checks to see if <html> has a class of “no-js”. If so, it removes it. This way, you could do something like:

.no-js #slider{display: none;}

and have the CSS hide a javascript slider or maybe something like

.no-js #slider li{display: none;}
    .no-js #slider li:first-child{display: block;}

That would hide all slides except the first.

Those are just very small examples of how you could use the no-js class.

TT_Mark

Obviously @fjorko Modernizr is JavaScript and so would only remove the no-js class if JavaScript was enabled. Just thought I would clear that up incase of confusion

OniLinkCR

How big is the percentage of people with JS turned off ? I thought it was around 1%?

TheDoc

Correct. On top of that, users with JS turned off are guaranteed to understand that some things will not work properly.

OniLinkCR

I just checked Google Analytics and it doesn’t say anything about JS support, which I guess is kind of stupid to look as Google also uses a script to monitor stuff? lol

wolfcry911
    Participant

Its not stupid – Google Analytics requires javascript to work, so those without it aren’t being tracked. It would be redundant to show a javascript statistic showing 100% of trackable users having javascript enabled.

OniLinkCR

All I see is Java…I must be looking at the wrong place.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.