Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Do I need a contract to sell my web design services?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    CrocoDillon
    Participant

I guess because cheap and premium are separate markets, just like any other industry.

Alen
    Participant

@chrisburton

I don’t think $500 price bracket is undercutting the industry. Would you want that client? Either way, beginner designer/programmer can possibly get some experience or the client will most likely just get a tacky looking template.

I think if you’re charging $3000+ for something that you should be charging $6,000+., now that’s undercutting the industry.

chrisburton
    Participant

@CrocoDillon I think it’s more complicated than that.

@AlenAbdula
    That’s a contradiction. If you’re charging $500 to where you should be charging $2,000+, that is devaluing the industry and it’s a bad way to start out.

Alen
    Participant

That price bracket is unsustainable that’s my point. Work it while beginning then get out ASAP.

chrisburton
    Participant

I disagree and you would be surprised how many people charge that amount. There are more newcomers to this industry than there are veterans. Granted that someone just starting out will make substantially less than that of a person doing this professionally for some time.

notfilc

If you are charging only $500 you need to find a hell of a lot of clients to make a living and from my experience finding the clients is the hardest part.

Alen
    Participant

I don’t know. I want longevity in my career and it seems when starting out you can ride the wave for 2-3 years and charge that amount but as you plan for your retirement, when your living situation changes, when you have kids, things quickly change and the $3000 that you were charging for your time becomes chump-change. You begin to value your time much more.

Anonymous
    Inactive

I think its always best to document anything your selling. You never know when your going to need it. I don’t think its required by law but its something that should be done encase your customer decides to sell your design.

JohnMotylJr
    Participant

@chrisburton, hey nice video, thanks for sharing…

TheDoc

Yea, I’ve watched that video a few times now, great stuff.

@chrisburton
    – for some people, depending on where they live, a $500 website could be the equivalent to a month’s worth of wages. It certainly makes sense for some people to charge that amount.

I’m not saying the quality of the work (or the client for that matter) is going to be the same as a $10,000 website, but there is certainly a market there, just like there are differently priced dentists, plumbers, etc.

chrisburton
    Participant

@JohnMotylJr No problem.

@TheDoc
    Absolutely agree and great point, Gray. But to charge that amount for a project, there should be good reasons to do so like you pointed out about cost of living. Even then, what country could you live in to pay $200 a month for rent/mortgage? There are more expenses to live than just that. And note, the OP was strictly speaking of a fixed price.

Alen
    Participant

I say let people charge whatever they wanna charge. We’ll let the free market chew them up and spit them back out. Either way, always write a contract. :)

Everyone’s situation is different. I also [do photography on the weekends](http://500px.com/alenabdula), and since I have a day time job and photography is just a side thing, I can “afford” to negotiate different mark-up on the deliverables like albums, prints, etc., but I would never negotiate on my hourly rate.

JayJay141
    Participant

@chrisburton, Great video I really learn allot from it;
    I’m still in school so I’m still learning how to be a great web developer/Graphic designer. some of the key points that I notice when I watched it was that “The client cant let you do anything that your not force to do”(I might be wrong) but it bring me to a conclusion to realize that a designer don’t work for the client but work as equals.

Also the video helps because I was debating on the cost of making a site for a client and I shouldn’t randomly come up with any price. Price should be specified what the person asking for and also time is something to think about too.

chrisburton
    Participant

The price should not be solely on what the client is asking. It should be determined based on your cost of living which factors into an hourly rate, the needs of the client and the amount of time it will take you plus a profit.

JayJay141
    Participant

Another question if I may;
    How much should be the hourly rate?

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 41 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.