The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Implementing an SVG Icon System" Nov 30 - 6:00 PM Eastern

Divs nt displaying proplerly in IE7 – fine in Firefox

• # January 27, 2010 at 2:15 pm

Anyone know the secret of getting a left column and right column to display properly in IE7? renders fine in Firefox, but if you look at this site in IE7, IEs displays the floating right column first, and renders my left column after – and below (and to the left of) my right column. I have validated, and the errors I have left are not related to this, I don’t think. All other smbresearch tabs display fine – so the problem is with my left and right Divs, and how IE treats them. A second (but more more minor) problem is that my right DIV extends below the page; I have yet to figure this one out, but is the minor of the 2 problems obviously. I am a newbie at this. Thanks much in advance. I am a few hours into trying to figure this out, and so coudl use some assistance.

# January 28, 2010 at 3:09 am

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Try increasing your #page ‘s width with ie7 specific css code and see if the columns end up aligning. I have run into something similar before. If increasing the width of #page works then I would suggest decreasing the widths of your colums with the ie7 specific css code.

# January 28, 2010 at 5:21 am

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Reduce the width of your leftCol. Your page width is 980px, leftCol is 730px and rightCol is 300px = 1030px !

# January 28, 2010 at 8:23 am

Virtual, Jamy_za – Oh my, that worked! I Specifically,what worked was decreasing the width of the left column. And here I thought I had been so careful with my math to make sure that my LH and RH columns did nto exceed the width of the page, but indeed, in making a bunch of changes a bnch of times, I had made the two columns too wide for one another. Thanks much! On to the next issue. Simpler solution than I thought.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed