Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS display table for ie6

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    bishtdbest

Hi,

I really like the CSS display:table and display:table-cell properties, but of course it doesn’t work in ie.

Has anyone found any fixes for this? I have been looking, but haven’t found anything.
    Conditional CSS, .htc files, javascript…anything?
    I would really like to avoid making everything with floats and clears

jamygolden
    bishtdbest

ok.. so wats the solution??

jamygolden

Floats and clears lol.

bishtdbest
    TheDoc

At the very bottom of your “article”:
    “Because of the way screen readers treat Lists, I recommend against using this construct. I have used OLs here merely as a proof of concept (and to make the title of this article a bit more interesting).”

Use floats and clears.

Also from the “article”:
    “There are many CSS layouts out there. Some rely on AP (Absolutely Positioned) elements, others use FLOATs. The former method is considered bad practice for its lack of flexibility while the latter is a powerful solution in building robust layouts.”

/sigh. Absolutely positioning elements is certainly not considered ‘bad practice’. While you don’t want an entire website absolutely positioned, there is nothing wrong with it. The author then states that floats are a powerful solution for building ‘robust layouts’, and yet he then goes on to write an article about how they are terrible.

Find a new person to learn CSS from.

soap
    Participant

I don’t even know what display:table does. That’s how often I use it.

Rob MacKay
    Participant

To be honest @soap – you don’t really need it. If you ever need to display something as a table you should just use tables :D I am kinda with Chris on this one.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.