Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Different Sidebars for WordPress

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    louckster

Hello gang,

I’m currently in the process of putting my CSS/XHTML theme into WordPress. So far so good except when it comes to the sidebars.

When I designed my theme I made it so that each page would have a different "sidebar". Now that have in WordPress I can’t figure out how to achieve this.

So what I don’t want is the homepage/blog sidebar to appear on the about, portfolio etc., pages of my website. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Thank you,
    Jason Loucks

ikthius
    "louckster" wrote:
    Hello gang,

I’m currently in the process of putting my CSS/XHTML theme into WordPress. So far so good except when it comes to the sidebars.

When I designed my theme I made it so that each page would have a different "sidebar". Now that have in WordPress I can’t figure out how to achieve this.

So what I don’t want is the homepage/blog sidebar to appear on the about, portfolio etc., pages of my website. Can someone guide me in the right direction?

Thank you,
    Jason Loucks

I think your going to use wordpress as a cms, in that the posts are for your blog, but your about may be a static page.

if so, you might want to look at making your own template page, like chris done on one of his tuts here
    https://css-tricks.com/video-screencasts … -as-a-cms/

or in the page.php in your theme folder, just don’t add in the link to your sidebar.

ik

louckster

Hi,

Well I’m going to have a blog to. But I guess mainly a Content Manager.

Jason Loucks

Rob MacKay
    Participant
    ikthius
    "louckster" wrote:
    Hi,

Well I’m going to have a blog to. But I guess mainly a Content Manager.

Jason Loucks

you can have he whole site through wordpress, but I have only my blog running on its own. the rest is just static:
    http://www.woskf.co.uk the blog is the news, that is the only bit that runs on wordpress,

louckster

So I removed <?php get_sidebar(); ?> from my page.php but now I’m still lost in what to do.

louckster

So I created a file called sidebar-about.php and I put in the following:

<?php
    /*
    Template Name: Sidebar About
    */
    ?>

<?php get_header(); ?>

<div id="content-right">

<h1>General Information</h1>

<p><strong>Name:</strong> Jason Loucks<br />
    <strong>Date of Birth:</strong> October 18, 1982<br />
    <strong>Age:</strong> Twenty-six (26)<br />
    <strong>Birthplace:</strong> Gloversville, New York<br />
    <strong>Location:</strong> United States</p>

</div><!– END right-col –>

<?php get_footer(); ?>

When i view the about page all I get is the sidebar. Should I add the entire about coding?

Chris Coyier
    Keymaster

What you did there is create a special page template. If you want your about page to use that instead, you’ll have to select it from the Page Template dropdown when editing that page.

I see it doesn’t contain the get_sidebar(); function, so it will not have a sidebar if that’s what you intend.

At all that get_sidebar(); function does is go grab the sidebar.php file and drop it in right there. If you want to have a DIFFERENT sidebar, you could just do a manual include of a different file. Like this:

Code:
    louckster

Thanks everyone,

I finally figured it out. It took awhile but I got it. Thanks for all of you help! :D

mlynn

You could also use a plugin like the Graceful Sidebar Plugin which lets you add custom content to a sidebar for each page or post.

TheDoc

@mlynn – you just dug up a thread that is over two years old to promote your own plugin. Naughty naughty.

Trego

@TheDoc -I fully agree with you that he is just promoting his own plugin

Mod edit: Link removed

TheDoc

Says the guy with a weird Blackberry link at the bottom of his post…

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.