The Lodge is members-only design/dev videos and Office Hours.

Next Office Hours Session: "Implementing an SVG Icon System" Nov 30 - 6:00 PM Eastern

Different sidebar on only my blog page using wordpress

• # January 28, 2010 at 11:47 am

Hi folks.
    I am trying to get a different sidebar to appear only on my blog page.

I am using wordpress as a CMS for the whole site and have static pages everywhere except my blog post. I know the problem is probably due to the fact that wordpress doesn’t recognize the blog page as a "page" but treats it differently.

I have tried making a new page template (blog.php) and a new sidebar (blog_sidebar.php) and copying and pasting my index.php text into the blog.php and changing the get_sidebar.php accordingly, but it doesn’t work at all for my blog section.

If anyone could point me in a direction to fix this I would greatly appreciate it.

Also, I am developing this site on a localhost so I don’t have any site to point you to in order to see what I am talking about.

# January 31, 2010 at 4:00 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

It’s a little hard to figure out exactly how you’re setup right now, but I think what I would do is something like this:

# January 31, 2010 at 6:33 pm

thanks for the reply Josh-the code isn’t working for me though.

I guess to simplify my question I will just ask this…

Is it possible for a wordpress CMS site to have a different sidebar for a static homepage and for the posts page?

It doesn’t seem possible to me, but I am sure there is a way

# February 9, 2010 at 4:07 pm

This reply has been reported for inappropriate content.

Your best bet is to setup different page templates and use different sidebars on the different templates. It also depends how the sidebar is setup in your theme though.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

There's a whole bunch of content on CSS-Tricks.

Search for Stuff   •   Browse the Archives

Get the Newsletter ... or get the RSS feed