Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Developing and launching a complicated replacement website

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    BitingGiraffe
    Participant

Hi guys, just wondering if any of you have procedures in place for when you need to develop a large website and then deploy it.

I potentially have to oversee a website (to replace an existing one) that will require several databases, including a WordPress blog and other sections, all of which will be linked, with databases exchanging information.

My concern is that we can’t develop on the existing server as it’s hosted with another company that my client is leaving and runs a proprietary CMS, so I’m just trying to work out how to build the new site and launch with minimal disruption.

I’m thinking of encouraging the company to get a VDS to replace their hosting, and would quite like to develop there until launch, but I’m not sure how to accomplish this, as changing the domain of an existing server/hosting package might be impossible..?

Any ideas would be very much appreciated, has anyone else been in the same boat before?

BitingGiraffe
    Participant

Ah, this would ordinarily be my plan, but the current site uses a CMS the previous developer created will not release (he also owns the current server), so we can’t run it on our new server. This is a pain.

Watson90

Is there ANY chance you could just design and develop a new website?

If no-one is capable of doing so then maybe the company could hire a developer to sort all of the back-end stuff out…

Paulie_D

If the server owner won’t let you use the existing one then I don’t see you have much of a choice but to get the company to either invest in it’s own server or arrange for hosting somewhere else.

Then develop on there until it’s time for a DNS switchover.

TheDoc

@Paulie_D has nailed it.

Just develop and launch on the new server and when everything is ready to go you just switch where the domain is pointing.

BitingGiraffe
    Participant

Cool, that sounds like a plan. My only concern is developing with WordPress without a domain name, but I guess I can look into that.

BitingGiraffe
    Participant

Just in case anyone is wondering, I think I can get my hosting company to arrange a temporary domain, so I don’t have to develop using only an IP address.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.