Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums CSS Detecting and conditionally hiding end-of-line character on wrap

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    theMikeD
    Participant

Not sure if this should be in the JS or the CSS forum so I’ll start here.

The scenario: I have a list of cities that are displayed on a single line with a separator symbol, which is *. So I have this basically

city * city * city * city * city

The * is added via ::after and the last one is removed via :last-child::after

The issue becomes when the line wraps and I’m left with a * symbol at the end of the wrapped line, like this

city * city * city *
    city * city

I’d like to hide that * at the end of the first line. Is this possible?

…Mike

Paulie_D

Could you not swap it out for a :before and remove it from the 1st item?

Hmmm…no, on second thought all that will do is give you a separator at the start of the second line.

JS is the answer…I feel.

theMikeD
    Participant
    Paulie_D

Hmm…The Js looks to be quite complex based on a Google search…and I’m suspecting that it might be more trouble than it’s worth.

https://www.google.co.uk/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&es_th=1&ie=UTF-8#q=javascript%20detect%20where%20text%20will%20break

Senff
    Participant

It can be done, but it’s a little hacky and it will only work when the cities are aligned left.

Put all the items in a wrapping DIV. Make the asterisk appear BEFORE every item — even the first one. Then shift everything a little to the left, so that every asterisk that appears as the first character of a line, will be hidden from view.

See http://codepen.io/senff/pen/XJNBLa (wrapping DIV has border just to show where it’s at).

theMikeD
    Participant
    Senff
    Participant

That doesn’t really work if you change the width of that DIV.

Try changing it to 100px (or 300px) and see what happens.

theMikeD
    Participant
Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘CSS’ is closed to new topics and replies.