Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Back End Detect CSS3 compatability and display message if not compatable.

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    daba

I’ve created a site using html5 standards (sections, articles, header & footer) and css3 (box-shadow, border-radius, pure css nav bar using ul list, ect).

Older browsers that do not support css3 ruin the page layout, but as this is not a company page, and therefore I’m not willing to spend time adapting for these users, but wish to instead display a message to either update their browsers or continue to what looks like madness on a old browser.

I have tried using tags to display a bar across the top of the page, but this means that other browser that don’t support css3 still get through.

I’m guessing that a PHP script is required to check CSS3 compatibility (check if box-shadow works for example) and then return a true or false answer. If the answer is false and the user hasn’t visited this domain in the last hour, redirect the user to a warning page.

Anyone have any code that they’re willing to share for this non-profit site?

daba

@kgscott284
    Thanks, yes, I’ve seen this code before, and it does find which properties work, but I need to redirect these users to a different page or display a horizontal header image.
    How do I rewrite

for (t in Detect) {
    document.write(
    "CSS " + t + " support? " +
    (Detect[t] ? "YES" : "NO") +
    "
    "
    );
    }

to perform this task?

daba

Looks great! Should I put this within the html page head to stop flashing?
    Also will googlebot, ect index the stuff within the span? I guess I could just add a single image and then block that said image in the robots.txt file.
    Thanks!

daba

thanks

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Back End’ is closed to new topics and replies.