Forums

The forums ran from 2008-2020 and are now closed and viewable here as an archive.

Home Forums Other Designer or Developer?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sloveland
    Participant

Getting ready to apply for jobs… but I’m confused which jobs to apply for. I’ve had interviews for developers and been turned down for a lack of illustration skills, and I’ve seen design jobs that prioritize CSS and Jquery.

I do these really well: HTML, CSS, Jquery, Responsive Design, Content Writing/Editing, Layout Design

I do these pretty well: Javascript, Photoshop

I’m not very good at: Color (partially colorblind), Typography, Complicated Javascript (can’t do event handling outside jquery)

I don’t do: Illustrations and graphics (beyond buttons, etc), Back-end technology (beyond integrating the front end)

…what am I?

TheDoc

It sounds like you’re a developer.

croydon86
    Participant

You sound… no… you ARE a front-end web developer.

It’s quite tricky nowadays as the boundaries between designers and developers are blurred, and a lot of recruiters will have their own ideas of what a front-end web developer consists of. I’ve seen front-end jobs listing PHP and MySQL as requirements!

sloveland
    Participant

Right? Good to know I’m not the only one who thought that was weird…

__
    Participant

All I can say is to look at the job reqs over the job title. Different companies are looking for different skillsets; some companies don’t really know what the job they’re advertising for should be called.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Other’ is closed to new topics and replies.